Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Senior Year Grades. Why should I Care?

fastMEdfastMEd Posts: 1,073- Member
edited August 2006 in College Admissions
I am a 4.0 unweighted student, and this year I seriously do not care anymore. AP Lit is hard as hell, and I am sick of it already. Rather than kill myself, grasping for that A that only 5% of her students get, I will relax and get a B. That is what I want to do, BUT will it have an adverse effect on my college admissions?

Do colleges actually care about senior year grades or do they just ask for a midyear report to make sure you aren't slacking off and as long as you aren't slacking off they don't care?
Post edited by fastMEd on

Replies to: Senior Year Grades. Why should I Care?

• GreenDayFanGreenDayFan Posts: 3,928Registered User Senior Member
    It does matter, and you definitely shouldnt slack off first semester. you can take it a little more easy after but you want to do good because its the most recent grades colleges will see.
  • fastMEdfastMEd Posts: 1,073- Member
    All that I really have going for me is almost perfect SAT scores and a perfect GPA. Not many ECs, but I don't want to kill myself for AP Lit. My question is just 1 B? Will that affect my decisions?

This is my projected Grades if I slack off

AP Literature B
    Spanish 4 Honors A
    AP Chemistry A
    AP Government A
    Physics 4a (at community college) A
    Calculus 1d (at community college) A

I am aiming for UPenn. Or NYU Stern. I am instate California so Berkeley is basically guaranteed.
  • b151b151 Posts: 233Registered User Junior Member
    If it's your strong point of your app, it would make sense not to die out on it.
  • whoamgwhoamg Posts: 622Registered User Member
    ap lit is supposed to be easy i thought. that's why evrybody everywhere takes it, oh well, the ap test is complete bs because it has nothing to do with english and is all about shakespeare and books.

one b will not ruin your app, it will ruin your o.c.-based pride in 4.0 . but who doesn't like 4.0 its shiny.

you can either:
    stress out to the max and get an a if you're lucky
    stress out and get a high b, then get ****faced in depression at a party, unless you want to get a buzz, or both, w/e - or you can just go to ap lit while inebriated - its fun
    chill, have fun, get the b (low-mid b), and worry about other classes

assuming a normal decile grading scale...
    its better to have one 83 and a bunch of 95's than all 89's. you might get into upenn, but i'd paypal you $5 if you didn't get into berkeley. if you have 4.3 + 2200 + ok essays (you wrote something that adheres to the rules of the english language) + 3ec's you're in.

remember colleges only care if you start getting c's or d's. maybe f's too. you can always make up an excuse for a b (my dog died, yes the one that ate my homework)
  • Dave_BerryDave_Berry Posts: 33,343CC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    Who cares about one freakin B??
    If you're applying ED, it doesn't matter at all...
    the admission counselor is not going to sit there wondering about your one B.

I feel the same way you do.
    I have a bunch of AP Classes coming up in my senior year.
    As of the end of junior year, I'm number 1 in my class!
    That's what the counselor is going to see.
    After I get accepted, I don't CARE where I end up at the end of the year.

So, in my senior year, I'm only going to worry about my college applications.

By the way, I'm applying UPenn (Wharton) ED. I'll keep you all updated on that.
  • SwatTeam2010SwatTeam2010 Posts: 125Registered User Junior Member
    stress out and get a high b, then get ****faced in depression at a party, unless you want to get a buzz, or both, w/e - or you can just go to ap lit while inebriated - its fun

This, my friends, is some of the worst advice I've ever seen.
  • tolandowskitolandowski Posts: 91Registered User Junior Member
    Many schools add a point to your GPA for taking an AP. So that means if you got a B, schools would look at it like you got an A. Just take the hardest classes you can. Colleges really like it and it'll either let you start at a higher level in college or have an easier first semester since you're used to hard classes. I don't think you can go wrong by taking an AP or dual enrollment.
  • KamikazewaveKamikazewave Posts: 874Registered User Member
    Dunno what school you all go to, but AP Lit is one of the hardest classes at my school. I took the late AP test cuz I had scheduling conflicts, and the stupid curve rate made me get a 4. If I took it in regular with all you slackers I could have easily pulled off the 5. Damn....now they probably think that I'm another asian guy who can do numbers but can't write for crap.
  • SmyttySmytty Posts: 215Registered User Junior Member
    Oh noes, a B!!!!!
  • gooduniformegooduniforme Posts: 313Registered User Junior Member
    Can someone answer this one question. I know colleges look at senior grades, AKA the mid-year report, to see if your getting anything below Ds/Fs, in which case your admission may be rescinded. NOW FOR THE BIG QUESTION: Do your senior grades actually matter TO GET IN? For example, they say for grades they only look at soph/junior year grades (well, many colleges do),and so, if you're passing ALL your difficult, senior-year courses, but not getting great grades (AKA all As, or all As and a few Bs), will that count AGAINST you ? or are senior year grades used exclusively to see ONLY that 1) u have a difficult courseload and 2) you're passing everything ???
    Yeah. That was my original question.
  • saint_paulsaint_paul Posts: 469Registered User Member
    fastmed, give yourself a break and take the B. It won't count against you AND you might find yourself lucky to do enough work to be that %5 that gets As in your lit class.
    Lol. Hopefully, maybe I will get lucky eh? Well, if I do get lucky, I will probably go to a top college. Last year, almost everyone that got an A in her class went to HYPMS. The few that chose not to HYPMS went to Dartmouth and UPenn.