Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Biology vs. Biological Sciences

BioGuyBioGuy Posts: 108Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2006 in College Admissions
Anybody know the difference between the two degrees?
Post edited by BioGuy on

Replies to: Biology vs. Biological Sciences

• ScipioScipio Posts: 7,804Super Moderator Senior Member
    No difference.
  • BioGuyBioGuy Posts: 108Registered User Junior Member
    One of the schools that Im applying to, a UC, has both as an option for a major.
  • chillaxinchillaxin Posts: 965Registered User Member
    There are sometimes different course requirements, and I know that at UC Riverside, there are different "tracks" you can go on, with the options depending on which major you choose.
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Posts: 6,992Registered User Senior Member
    Glad to see another biology thread.

O.K., it's true. There really is no difference between a major that designated "Biology" and another that is called "Biological Sciences." What has happened is that some colleges have consolidated specialities such as Zoology, Botany, Genetics into a 'Biological Sciences' major. You will notice that many colleges dropped their Zoology and Botany departments, but maintain several courses in those specialties.

For better or worse, at some schools, you can graduate with a Biology/Bio Sci degree without ever having taken a class in Botany.
    Thanks. I decided to have biological science as my optional major and biology as my first choice.
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Posts: 8,730Super Moderator Senior Member
    Are you referring to UC Riverside? Basically, biological sciences incorporates several areas of biology in which you can choose to concentrate. Duke, for example, offers a major in which you can concentrate in biochemistry, ecology, marine biology, botany, pharmacology, etc. In such cases, biology is usually a subset of biological sciences- Cornell and UC Riverside are examples of this. In other words, biological sciences is the broader major.
    Thanks warble!