Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

do the titles 'pre-ap' and 'honors' mean the same thing?

amcantuamcantu Posts: 67Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2006 in College Admissions
title............
Post edited by amcantu on

Replies to: do the titles 'pre-ap' and 'honors' mean the same thing?

• b4nnd20b4nnd20 Posts: 1,346Registered User Senior Member
    Depends on the school where you're taking the class
  • 2o_o72o_o7 Posts: 468Registered User Member
    At my school they have different meanings, although I could see that at some schools they may be one and the same.

Colleges may not know the difference, unless your guidance counselor puts it in your letter (?)
  • yannersyanners Posts: 703Registered User Member
    Depends on the school, definitely.

At our school, we don't even have "pre-AP." Unfortunately, there is this huge gap of difficulty between honors and AP...There's no middle ground, and I think that forces a lot of people into uncomfortable situations; either too much work, or not enough learning.
  • jjchase24jjchase24 Posts: 146Registered User Junior Member
    yanners i feel the same way
    we have GT but only when there is no AP
    like freshman year you can take english 1 GT because there is obviously no AP

honors is total BS
    AP can be killer
    it sucks!
  • etselecetselec Posts: 780Registered User Member
    My school has three levels:
    Honors - highest (this is called "AP" if you happen to take a certain College Board test at the end)
    Curriculum I - middle
    Curriculum II - lower

A neighboring school also has three levels:
    AP - highest
    Honors - middle
    Regular - lower

An Honors class at their school is comparable to a curriculum I class at my school. So names can be very misleading. But hopefully in the School Report form your school has indicated what they use and colleges will understand that.
  • Gryffon5147Gryffon5147 Posts: 3,765Registered User Senior Member
    At our school, It's:

AP
    Honors
    College Prep(CP) Class (i.e. Community College Prep class) - Being the lowest level class

So many names, I'm sure your GC can clear it up. If not, pre-AP sounds pretty impressive, even though at first it was laughable that a school would name a perfectly good class after the CollegeBoard money making scheme.
  • hattrickhattrick Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    do community college classes count as AP or nonAP?
  • ever_afterever_after Posts: 469Registered User Member
    CC classes are non-AP. You can take the test if you would like in May, but they do not fall under that heading.