Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

4.0 GPA vs. 100 scale

MidajiMidaji Posts: 99Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2006 in College Admissions
My school only uses the 100 point scale, and since all of the statistics for College Admissions uses 4.0, I'd like to know how the scale works.

I saw that A = 4, B = 3, C = 2, and so forth. Is it really that simple? On the 100 scale, 90->100 = A. Does that mean that a person with six 90s will have the same 4.0 GPA as someone with six 99s?
Post edited by Midaji on

Replies to: 4.0 GPA vs. 100 scale

• negrunegru Posts: 880Registered User Member
    Adcoms don't use hard formulas to accept students, so it doesn't really matter. And because they don't neither can you convert precisely. Anyway, I think As, Bs, etc are given depending on percentile (tho I'm not sure..maybe someone should clear it up) .for example top 5% students will get A, the following 10% B, etc, while on a 100 point scale, if you get 80 right answers out of 100 questions, your final grade is 80, no matter what other students got.
  • haru07haru07 Posts: 660Registered User Member
    My school uses the % system as well. My GPA is 98.1 or something out of 100, and I'm guessing my counselor put 98 on the report he has to write.
  • 2o_o72o_o7 Posts: 468Registered User Member
    My school uses the 4.0 system as well, however, the point breakdown per grade is as follows:
    A+: 4.3
    A: 4.0
    A-: 3.67
    B+:3.3
    B:3
    B-:2.67
    C+:2.3
    ...etc.

If you go through your transcript you can calculate your GPA by adding up and averaging these numbers (being sure to weight appropriately for credit).
  • 2o_o72o_o7 Posts: 468Registered User Member
    oh also: percentage wise, it breaks down to: 97-100 = A+, 93-96= A, 90-92= A-. Drop the 90 to an 80, 70 etc. and the plus/minus system remains the same for each letter.

again, this is just my school, although I think that it's a pretty standard system
  • andrw313andrw313 Posts: 701Registered User Member
    My school is indeed A-4, B-3, and C-2. So as of right now, 6 90s is as good as 6 99s.
  • HepstarHepstar Posts: 1,586Registered User Member
    My school uses a 100 point system, but weights classes based on the following scale:

Religion, Health, and Art: The grade you get is the grade you get

Non-Honors/Non-AP Classes: Your grade X 1.02 = Weighted Avg

Honors Classes: Your grade X 1.04 = Weighted Avg

AP and Scholars Program Classes: Your grade X 1.06 = Weighted Avg

BC Calc (since it is so hard at my school): Your grade X 1.08 = Weighted Avg

My avg is about 96.4 and the highest avg in the school is about 103.6.
  • sagarmathasagarmatha Posts: 355Registered User Member
    Hepstar

your school weights non hns and non AP classes?
  • memeti_12_89memeti_12_89 Posts: 91Registered User Junior Member
    I go to the same school as hepstar, so I could answer the question and the answer is yes, but its only because the academic work in our school even in regular classes is a little bit extra so....
  • collegebound5collegebound5 Posts: 820Registered User Member
    The admission officers will look at the transcripts and see what your base grade was in each class. They do this because at some schools a student could have a 5.0 weighted average and have all unweighted 93's for example, and another student at another school can have all unweighted 93's but that school grades on a 100 point scale, and that student could have an unweighted 93, but a weighted 98 for example, and the second student would appear to have graduated with less than a 4.0, while the other student at the other school would appear to have a higher average with the 5.0, when in fact the students did the same.
  • MyarminMyarmin Posts: 679Registered User Member
    Does anyone's school give more weight to IB than AP?
    Our neighbor schools do, but our school gives equal weight to both (1.06 on a 100pt scale).
  • showcase95051showcase95051 Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    I have attended 3 High schools, 2 in Cali and 1 in texas. Cali uses ABCD with A=4 b=3 and so on. but texas uses the 0-100 and then weight the GPA for regular, honors, AP classes. I got screwed when they transferred my grades over because some of my 100's which were "A's" in Cali, got put in as 95's. It made a big difference. but i think colleges make the ABCD 4321 policy so its standardized cuz tons of schools do diff systems.
  • alreadyhomealreadyhome Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
    My school uses the 4.0 scale, but I think to convert from the 100 scale to the 4.0 scale, you multiply your gpa by 4/100.