Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How/when do you usually find out if you're accepted?

Azure326Azure326 Posts: 1,179Registered User Senior Member
edited December 2006 in College Admissions
With all the excitement going on about getting accepted or not, I don't even exactly know when/how I will find out.

1. Do they only send it in the mail or do they also email you? Which do you get first?

2. A lot of people talk about thin and fat envelopes. Is it true that you can tell whether you got in or not if the envelope is paper thin or somewhat fat?

3. If you applied regular decision, when do you usually find out. Do they usually come at around the same time (provided you're not waitlisted or anything)? I realize there's probably different dates for private universities, but if you applied to UC's, for example, would they all come on the same day (give or take a day or two in between each)?

4. What's the letter like? I'm really curious as to what it says and what the tone/mood is of the letter when you get accepted or rejected.

If it helps, I applied to the following colleges:

UC Berkeley
UC San Diego
UC Log Angeles
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Santa Barbara
Cal Poly - SLO
Post edited by Azure326 on

Replies to: How/when do you usually find out if you're accepted?

• fireflyscoutfireflyscout Posts: 5,355Registered User Senior Member
    1. Varies by college. Look at previous years' posts to see what each college does.

2. Fat envelope = yes. Thin envelope = anything. Last year my daughter received several acceptances in thin envelopes.

3. I'm not a UC expert, but I'm pretty sure they stagger their decisions - for example, the decisions for UC-Irvine are released before the decisions for Berkeley. Check last year's posts to get an idea of when they are released.

4. As I've said above, check last year's posts - I'm pretty sure someone posted what was in their letter.