Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Does taking Calculus III/ Multivariable Calculus give you the edge in Engineering?

Classof08Classof08 Posts: 437Registered User Member
edited February 2007 in College Admissions
by how much, say cornell engineering
Post edited by Classof08 on

Replies to: Does taking Calculus III/ Multivariable Calculus give you the edge in Engineering?

• unpollolocounpolloloco Posts: 223Registered User Junior Member
    is this before college or in college?
  • WindSlicerWindSlicer Posts: 1,173Registered User Senior Member
    Judging by the username, before college.

MV Calc isn't all it's cracked up to be.. at least the first 3 weeks are kinda lame. Maybe it'll get better. Anyhow, use some logic here. Do you think taking higher level math classes will help to get one accepted to a program that wants students that are mathematically inclined?

Answer is yes.
  • KamikazewaveKamikazewave Posts: 874Registered User Member
    MV Calc that you take in high school or local junior college is different from MV Calc in college, at least that's what I'm told. However, if you're talented enough to be taking MV Calc now you should know at least how to reword your question so it makes more sense.
  • chaoseschaoses Posts: 1,039Registered User Member
    I would say it helps a little bit or not at all
    If you already had calc 1 & 2 done that is awesome enough at ANY engineering school. Most of the engineering fields required lots of math but not that many (about 2,3,4 more math classes after calculus depending on your engineering major and electives). If you have nothing to do senior year, then take it (it certainly won't hurt you at all). But if you have SATs and other stuff to focus on, then you don't have to. Just my opinion. Most of the people in engineering start freshmen year with calc 3 anyway.