Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What looks good on a college application 9th, 10th, 11th grade?

mj93mj93 Posts: 3,601- Senior Member
edited June 2009 in College Admissions
im looking for any suggestions on courses to take, ecs, volunteering, jobs.... what looks the best on a college application and what should i be doing in 9th, 10th, 11th grade?

thanks!

-8th grader
Post edited by mj93 on

Replies to: What looks good on a college application 9th, 10th, 11th grade?

• asifkhanasifkhan Posts: 3,804Registered User Senior Member
    Be MORE SPECIFIC!!!
    anyway, just a few imp. things
    Courses: AP/IB
    ECs:- Must show that ur pursuing ur passion
    Volunteering:- Looks pretty good
    Jobs:- Any sorta jobs during summer, better if u can find something that u will major in :)
    High SATs, GPAs, this sorta things :D

You have MORE THAN ENOUGH time and just browse the section u posted this thread, there's more than enough info :)
  • kyledavid80kyledavid80 Posts: 8,093Registered User Senior Member
    Courses: AP/IB/honors -- most rigorous
    ECs: show leadership and a focus/passion; continue them throughout high school
    Volunteering: show leadership and (ideally) initiative
    Jobs: summer jobs; you might do tutoring during the year

Study for the SAT months in advance. Get lots of prep books.

GPA: a B here and there won't kill you. However, try to maintain at least a 3.8 semester GPA unweighted. Try to maintain a good rank (top 5%), too.

Have good relations with your teachers, 'cause you might want recommendations eventually.

Strive to get good honors/awards -- best student in subject X, etc.

Don't forget SAT II subject tests your junior year; I recommend 3, even if the school you're applying to only requires 2.

I'll emphasize the passion/focus point: it's very, very important. Try to arrange your ECs, awards/honors, and your courses around your passion. Really get involved in those activities and show leadership. Your essays will, eventually, focus on these.

If you keep all that up, you'll have a fairly good shot at the top schools, I think. =)
  • Puzzled88Puzzled88 Posts: 1,098Registered User Senior Member
    Here's a simple suggestion: have a look at the Common Application (you can find it online). Everything the other two posters said is absolutely correct and if you look at the form itself, you'll see how you will be presenting that information to the colleges.
  • shubhsinghi6700shubhsinghi6700 Posts: 154Registered User Junior Member
    what are you doing here?!!

hahaha, you have lots and lots of time my friend!

just be sure to keep ur GPA, Grades and Course Rigor at its absolute best.

Do lots of volunteer work, and seriously start doing this you are passionate in (inside or outside your school!_
  • asifkhanasifkhan Posts: 3,804Registered User Senior Member
    ONe more thing: don't do one thing that I've done====joining clubs randomly and as much as possible! (well, that's related to pursuing passion but still) Simply choose only those and in such a way so that u can give enough time and really contribute--not just for putting it beside ur name!
  • johnniebjohnnieb Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    well i've got the whole volunteer thing down, i've been @ this elementary school for two years now. my only question is what if you did horribly in 2 classes (ex: Spanish, n Religion) but u know that you were inadequately prepared but now u r trying 2 figure out a way to help make your transcript look okay. what sort of ways could i help change the way my transcript look, without having my sophomore hanging over my head, and still be able to get into a great college (i.e Northwestern, or University of Chicago)??????
  • PsitPsit Posts: 17Registered User New Member
    Wow,wow, you came here at 6th grade, and posted 2073 ???

you should know more than me :-)

my high school starts counting volunteering after 8th. grade graduation. my friend found a junior counselor position in summer camp. In the 1st. day of high school, she handed in a letter showed she has 160 hour community service !!! she just played in the camp!!!
  • ChoklitRainChoklitRain Posts: 2,625- Senior Member
    My advice is to leave this site for now, and not to ask such questions. If you go this route and do only what you think colleges want, your application will end up looking artificial and manufactured. Think of the difference between a plastic flower and a real flower.
  • Bigb14Bigb14 Posts: 2,044Registered User Senior Member
    How about, enjoy your life and don't stress you still have 4 years ahead of you?
  • noimaginationnoimagination Posts: 7,016Registered User Senior Member
    > Think of the difference between a plastic flower and a real flower.

The plastic one doesn't die?
  • OHKIDOHKID Posts: 1,255Registered User Senior Member
    ^no, incorrect interpretation, so let me give you another one....

Your college app will look about as realistic as the late Anna Nicole Smith's chest.
  • Bell CurvesBell Curves Posts: 406Registered User Member
    I wish I found CC when I was in grade 8...
  • noimaginationnoimagination Posts: 7,016Registered User Senior Member
    @OHKID: I understood ChoklitRain's point and agree with it. My point was a more pragmatic look at that example.