Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Intel or Siemens semi finalist

lalala06lalala06 Posts: 191Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Admissions
would getting intel or siemens semi finalist really boost ones chances of admission?
Post edited by lalala06 on

Replies to: Intel or Siemens semi finalist

• Redenbacher'sRedenbacher's Posts: 163Registered User Junior Member
    It would but it doesn't guaranteed automatic acceptance.
  • EdwardzEdwardz Posts: 588Registered User Member
    Yes...It's a big boost. But you'd have to be extremely qualified to become one in the first place. ;)
  • rama_GBrama_GB Posts: 276Registered User Junior Member
    I am assuming Intel STS, which is much more prestigious than Intel ISEF (although ISEF is a good thing to have to). IF so, yes it is a big boost. However, like another poster said, it is not a guarantee.

Are you planning on STS this year or something? I am.
  • collegehopeful78collegehopeful78 Posts: 1,470Registered User Senior Member
    I am also going to try for this. How long have you all spent on your research project?
  • samiamysamiamy Posts: 1,664Registered User Senior Member
    3 + years as of now.
    Wow... that's a long time! Most applicants spend only 1 year (academic and summer) to start and finish their projects.
    That's crazy. Same. I am also going to spend a year and summer. Summer is when most of the research goes on. Its not how long you spend doing the research. Its how well you fill out the application and how well you write the paper.
  • sishu7sishu7 Posts: 567Registered User Member
    Intel science fair is a BIG thing. I have a friend who got 2nd nationally for it, good grades, amazing essays and recs, but awful test scores because he was just a bad test-taker. He also did not get his HS diploma b/c of credit issues. He got accepted to UPenn and MIT.
    what if you just participate in it but dont win? Is it still a big thing if you send in a research abstract?
  • lalala06lalala06 Posts: 191Registered User Junior Member
    hmm, i hope i get the distinction, it can really boost me up a notch
    It's not really a big thing if you send the colleges you applied to a copy of your project. I know all of my friends (including myself) who sent a copy to all of our schools. It doesn't make a difference in their decision but when you bring it up in interviews, it usually sheds a positive light on you because it illustrates your interest and commitment to your project.
    Are you sure? Well I am sure the roject can help you a little bit. Its a good ec to have though?
    I guess you could say it's a good EC to have but again, it's not going to increase your chances of getting into X-College by a lot, especially if you don't win (which won't even guaranteed you automatic acceptance).
  • GoldShadowGoldShadow Posts: 6,160Registered User Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure winning it is almost an auto-admit,like sishu's anecdote illustrates.

edit: I don't mean that literally, but you get my point.
    Oops! I was confusing the definition of "winning" (My brain is fried... can't wait for school to be over). When I meant "winning," I thought of just becoming a semi-finalist or anything but being the winner (THE finalist). If we're talking about winning the competition, then yes, you're probably going to get into your dream school. If you're a semi-finalist (which is what I thought all this time for some reason), you're not guaranteed the automatic admission. Last year, a friend of mine got to the semi-finals but was denied from most of his choices.