Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

National Merit Commended Cutoff

salpertsalpert Posts: 823Registered User Member
edited October 2007 in College Admissions
I'm an Arizona student and I scored a 211 on my PSAT last year. I know the National Merit isn't announced for a while, but if I was 98th percentile, not 99, does that mean I'm not even going to be commended? Or can 98th percentile still be commended?
Post edited by salpert on

Replies to: National Merit Commended Cutoff

• kyledavid80kyledavid80 Posts: 8,093Registered User Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure you'll get commended. It's different for each state, but you should with a 211 in Arizona.
  • salpertsalpert Posts: 823Registered User Member
    Oh great! 212 was 99, and 211 was 98, and I was really worried I'd missed it by one point. I hope I can still be commended.
  • aquamarineeaquamarinee Posts: 3,028Registered User Senior Member
    You'll find out soon... in September
  • Johnson181Johnson181 Posts: 4,142Registered User Senior Member
    I thought commended was a national cut-off rather than state by state...
  • phonyreal98phonyreal98 Posts: 1,967Registered User Senior Member
    I think it's 200 in NC.
  • you'llsee...you'llsee... Posts: 4,535Registered User Senior Member
    commend cutoff score is nationwide: usually around 202.

so anyone in the US w/ a 202 or higher will be commended. However, the cutoff score to be a semifinalists is different for each state.
  • sesses Posts: 2,027Registered User Senior Member
    Commended is by state. Most commended students in MA would be semifinalists in the vast majority of other states.
  • jrparjrpar Posts: 2,083Registered User Senior Member
    Commended is a national cutoff: it was 200 for this past year. Anyone who was at least commended received a letter in April asking them to name their top two schools, so NM could notify those schools that the student was a high scorer and interested in the schools (salpert, if you are a rising senior, you should have received this letter last spring).

In late August or early September, those who are semi-finalists will be notified through their high schools: the semi-finalist cutoffs vary by state.
    The National Merit website (www.nationalmerit.org) spells out the steps pretty clearly:
    Program Recognition
    Of the 1.4 million entrants, some 50,000 with the highest PSAT/NMSQT® Selection Index scores (critical reading + mathematics + writing skills scores) qualify for recognition in the National Merit® Scholarship Program. In April following the fall test administration, high-scoring participants from every state are invited to name two colleges or universities to which they would like to be referred by NMSC. In September, these high scorers are notified through their schools that they have qualified as either a Commended Student or Semifinalist.

Commended Students
    In late September, more than two-thirds or about 34,000 of the approximately 50,000 high scorers on the PSAT/NMSQT® receive Letters of Commendation in recognition of their outstanding academic promise. Commended Students are named on the basis of a nationally applied Selection Index score that may vary from year to year and is below the level required for participants to be named Semifinalists in their respective states. Although Commended Students do not continue in the competition for Merit Scholarship® awards, some of these students do become candidates for Special Scholarships sponsored by corporations and businesses.

Semifinalists
    In early September, about 16,000 students, or approximately one-third of the 50,000 high scorers, are notified that they have qualified as Semifinalists. To ensure that academically able young people from all parts of the United States are included in this talent pool, Semifinalists are designated on a state representational basis. They are the highest scoring entrants in each state. NMSC provides scholarship application materials to Semifinalists through their high schools. To be considered for a Merit Scholarship® award, Semifinalists must advance to Finalist standing in the competition by meeting high academic standards and all other requirements explained in the materials provided to each Semifinalist. Click here to learn about requirements for becoming a Finalist in the 2007 National Merit® Scholarship Program. (Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or above is required.)

Finalists
    In February, some 15,000 Semifinalists are notified by mail at their home addresses that they have advanced to Finalist standing. High school principals are notified and provided with a certificate to present to each Finalist.
  • you'llsee...you'llsee... Posts: 4,535Registered User Senior Member
  • aisgzdavinciaisgzdavinci Posts: 1,997Registered User Senior Member
    And that doesn't cover internationals
  • bluebayoubluebayou Posts: 21,562Registered User Senior Member
    jrpar:

did Commended drop last year? [The cutoff was 202 for the graduating class of '06.]
    bluebayou, yes the cutoff dropped this year, after increasing by a point or so a year for several years. The scoring of the writing section was adjusted.
  • Johnson181Johnson181 Posts: 4,142Registered User Senior Member
    I'm probably going to miss semi finalist by one point.

ONE POINT.
  • kat41911kat41911 Posts: 502Registered User Member
    Johnson181: What score did you get?