Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Can I make changes to the Common app after submitting it for early admission?

MJ_17MJ_17 Posts: 26Registered User New Member
edited October 2007 in College Admissions
I read this on the Common app website:

"Once you have submitted your Common App to any institution, your application will be locked and you will not be able to make any changes to it."

So, if I submit my application to Yale early action, will I be able to make changes to the Common app afterwards before sending it regular decision to other universities?

Thanks
Post edited by MJ_17 on

Replies to: Can I make changes to the Common app after submitting it for early admission?

• ChedvaChedva Posts: 18,842Super Moderator Senior Member
    No, you will not. The application is locked.
  • bigreddawgiebigreddawgie Posts: 2,118Registered User Senior Member
    nope its locked
  • MJ_17MJ_17 Posts: 26Registered User New Member
    doesn't that take away the advantage of more time with regular decision versus early admission?
  • chronicidalchronicidal Posts: 709Registered User Member
  • huskerboy111huskerboy111 Posts: 21Registered User New Member
    that's stupid. i'm applying to a school early that only requires 2 SAT subject tests and that's all i'll have ready by then, but for regular pool one of my colleges wants 3. i'll have three by then, but i won't be taking the third until after application has been locked. will that matter? cuz the college will get my score, just not on the common app.
  • UniversityfellaUniversityfella Posts: 83Registered User Junior Member
    nope, you cannot change it.
  • homershomers Posts: 110Registered User Junior Member
    I thought that the application was locked to that one school but that the application can be changed and sent to other schools.
    homers, that's how it was until this year. They've changed the Common App so that you can no longer change the application once it's been submitted to any school. Of course, you can continue to edit and change any supplements.
  • glassesglasses Posts: 432Registered User Member
    Below is from the common app website:

HOW DO I SUBMIT MY COMMON APPLICATION?
    Once you have answered all required questions, you may submit your application. Click the 'Submit' button to submit your application - - this button can be found on the 'Sign & Submit' section and the 'My Colleges' section.

You must submit the Common App to each of your selected institutions. This can be done all at one time, or one at a time. After you have submitted your Common App, you may add additional institutions and submit your application to them, as well. Once you have submitted your Common App to any institution, your application will be locked and you will not be able to make any changes to it.
  • MenagerieMenagerie Posts: 196Registered User Junior Member
    Couldn't you just send a paper application, and make your changes on that?
  • homershomers Posts: 110Registered User Junior Member
    I had no idea! That is a terrible change. Why did they do that?
  • Mets#1Mets#1 Posts: 54Registered User Junior Member
    Chedva- do you know why they changed it? It makes it so much harder for the students.
    It's only a guess, but I assume that they felt that making changes to the Common App defeated its purpose - send the same application to all schools. I think the problems specifically with early vs. regular decision dates is a result of the Law of Unintended Consequences.
  • CNCACNCA Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    You can send paper versions of the common app, although I think most schools prefer online apps. Still the limitations imposed by "locking" the application are worth working around. My daughter has been elected to a new school office, and been admitted to another honor society since the beginning of the school year. Since her application (submitted to one college with early dance auditions) is now "locked," we'll be using the individual school applications, or paper common apps for the remainder of her applications. Maybe a decline in usage will lead the common app people to rethink this restriction.
  • SoOreMomSoOreMom Posts: 79Registered User Junior Member
    My son will probably do a paper app for an ED application. I don't think it's so wise to lock his application as early as he'd have to for ED apps.

I wonder what the Common App people are thinking with this locking deal.