Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is a 3.8 GPA is pretty high GPA? Or is it low?

moviefreak126moviefreak126 Posts: 372Registered User Member
edited May 2009 in College Admissions
I'm a pretty good student but in my sophomore year, I got a C+ and a C in two different subjects, respectively. Because of this, is my GPA lower than like a 3.8? My school follows the whole GPA/4.0.

Since I think that the highest GPA I can receive is a 3.8-4.0 in my junior and senior year, is that a good enough GPA, a 3.8? I've got friends whose GPAs are like 4.3. They are pretty damn smart!

I'm looking at DUKE university, UVA, UofC, Boston U, USF, UNC-CH, UCSD, UCLA, UCI, and possibly USC.
Post edited by moviefreak126 on

Replies to: Is a 3.8 GPA is pretty high GPA? Or is it low?

• madvillemadville Posts: 1,100Registered User Member
    Most likely depends on your "unknown" competition. You could check the previous admission profiles to schools you are considering and or the common data sets.
  • happycollegemomhappycollegemom Posts: 1,170Registered User Senior Member
    moviefreak~ you didn't give any info on rigor of your classes(APs, honors, etc.)also, how you write your essays, standardized test score, recs,ECs all matter. since you're from CA you know the UC system better than i do, but as far as Duke and UVA, need to know other stuff about you. for UVA, OOS a 3.8 is low, but as i said, don't know the aforementioned. good luck.
  • happycollegemomhappycollegemom Posts: 1,170Registered User Senior Member
    same comments for UNC-Chapel Hill
  • WeskidWeskid Posts: 1,288Registered User Senior Member
    A 3.8 can be a good GPA--it's above an A- average, which is good. But HOW good (or not) it is is affected by a couple things. For instance, what APs/Honors you took: if you have a 3.8 but no APs/Honors (if there are any offered at your school), that's not going to look good.

Likewise, clas rank (if your school does it, or otherwise a general knowledge of GPA distribution at your school by the colleges) will also make a differance: a 3.8 reads very differently to adcoms if it puts you in the top 5% of your class vs. the top 20%.

Also, is that a weighted GPA, or not? Because some schools will care more about your unweighted or will re-weight it with their own formula.
  • jessiehljessiehl Posts: 3,328Registered User Senior Member
    If your school follows GPA/4.0, how do your friends have GPAs of 4.3?
  • moviefreak126moviefreak126 Posts: 372Registered User Member
    sorry that last part was wrong. they have 4.0s. i've taken like 5 honors classes and no ap's for junior year. for senior year, ill take about 3 honors and perhaps 2 ap's.
  • jags861jags861 Posts: 1,716Registered User Senior Member
    because on a 4.0 scale, an A+ is 4.3.

if an A is 90%, and an A+ is 95 (thats what my high school was), then its easy to have a 4.3
  • ihavesenioritisihavesenioritis Posts: 103- Junior Member
    dude fresh, soph, and junior year i had a bunch of honors classes and only 1 ap class cuz my stupid school offered **** i hate like world history and english. but senior year im taking 6 AP's 2 of them are math and 2 of them are science. i suggest you go like me and pack on those AP's for senior year. then ur application will look much better.
    that's what im trying to do...or going to do but the thing is that i dont want to overwhelm myself with that, ec's, and apps.
  • ihavesenioritisihavesenioritis Posts: 103- Junior Member
    are you a junior or a senior now? im a senior now and handling 6 AP's pretty well, i also got 2 regular classes (english and spanish lol) im making all A's and 2-3 B's right now. it all depends on how much you want to go to the college you want to go. since i had a screwed up 2 years of highschool i kinda didnt have a choice but to do a schedule like this. good luck tho.
    I did pretty good freshman year. Then I went down sophomore year. My college counselor said that to make up for last year, I need to be like a straight a student this year. She said taht colleges like it when you make a drastic change because it shows that your are dedicated to learn. Im a junior now and i really want to go to DUKE. DUKE is my life right now. I really, really want to get into DUKE. DUKE is what I'm working up for. If I don't get in, I will seriously just cry. I gotta work really heard this year. On top of that, I am really involved with school. leadership, etc. and outside, hospital volunteer.
  • mj93mj93 Posts: 3,601- Senior Member
    Duke. Not DUKE.
  • dukebball23dukebball23 Posts: 102Registered User Junior Member
    thanks, mj93, i was just about to point that out. it was driving me crazy.
    I'm sorry, but that's how much I want to get in.
  • rencerence Posts: 385Registered User Member
    Haha I like your logic moviefreak.