Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

dropping an AP class?

spoofyspoofy Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2005 in College Admissions
I decided to take AP Computer Science this year because I thought it would be an easy-A class for me. Unfortunately, I was wrong and I'm struggling to get a passing grade this semester (I have a 58% right now.) And since AP tests are in about 6-7 weeks, I doubt that there will be enough time to bring my grade up to a C...

So my question is: Should I drop the class? If I do... how much will that affect my chances of admission to UCI, UCD, UCSB, UCSC when I apply next fall?

Current Schedule:
01. AP US History
02. AP Computer Science
03. AP Biology
04. Math Analysis
05. AP Psychology
06. English
07. Drumline

My Schedule after(if) I drop:
01. AP US History
02. Studyhall
03. AP Biology
04. Math Analysis
05. AP Psychology
06. English
07. Drumline

Also, if it helps I'm planning on taking 4 APs next year (AP gov/econ, AP stats, AP lit, AP chem)

Oh yeah, and yes I have A's in all my other classes. It's only this class that's pulling me down....

Opinions needed desperately!!!!
Post edited by spoofy on

Replies to: dropping an AP class?

• taffyluchiataffyluchia Posts: 477Registered User Member
    You might want to raise it up to a passing grade to your transcript will say "Dropped -- Pass" instead of Dropped -- Fail", which would look totally horrible and will ruin your perfect A's look
  • wolfstarslasherwolfstarslasher Posts: 473Registered User Member
    Take it pass/fail if you can (so only a P or F shows on your transcript) if you can't do that then try getting tutoring or something, maybe?

I would drop it only if the class has nothing to do with your intended major.
  • spoofyspoofy Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
    ^ Is there really a way you can take the class with pass/fail instead of letter grades? How can I do that... just talk to my guidance counselor?

I'm intending to major in either psychology or biology (general or evolutionary.)

Edit: taffyluchia when you said to raise my grade to a passing grade then drop the class, is a D considered a passing grade... it is at my school but I'm not sure if it applies anywhere else.
    Take it pass/fail if you can (so only a P or F shows on your transcript) if you can't do that then try getting tutoring or something, maybe?

I would drop it only if the class has nothing to do with your intended major.
    Whoops, sorry for the double post!

At my school you can take a class p/f as long as it's not a graduation requirement, or you've fulfilled the credits in that area (ie: taking a 5th year of math). Also, my school doens't have the 'dropped fail/pass' thing either, so you should check that out.

With psych/bio I think you'd be fine with dropping it.
  • taffyluchiataffyluchia Posts: 477Registered User Member
    spoofy -- Look at one of your older transcripts and see if you can get any information from the keys. I highly suggest you to talk to your counslor
  • dli286dli286 Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    This happened to me last year as well, but I dropped it at the beginning of second semester. Then I replaced it with Lab Assistant which is like TA. I suggest you drop the class...if you still can...because you don't want to lower your GPA by getting a D or F.
  • spoofyspoofy Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
    thanks for the advice wolfstarslasher, taffyluchia, dli286!