Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Applying to only two colleges- good idea?

studentathlete10studentathlete10 Posts: 26Registered User New Member
edited December 2007 in College Admissions
My stats are:
gpa weighted- 4.039
unweighted- 3.8
4 aps, 5 honors
class rank- 41/538
m-620, cr-570, w-600
varsity letters- 1 for cross country, 2 track and field..plenty of extracirculars and community service

I applied early decision to juniata college- its competitive but not like ivy league or anything. I also just applied to Moravian College- I dont know much about it but it seems like a good fit for me. My guidance counselor rates juniata a 3 and moravian a 2 out of 5 for me, meaning i have a very good shot at getting into moravian and about 60-70% of getting into juniata. Am I okay just applying to these two and no others? Is it likely that i will be turned down by both of these colleges?

Here's Juniata on Collegeboard-http://collegesearch.collegeboard.c...

Here's Moravian on Collegeboard-
http://collegesearch.collegeboard.c...
Post edited by studentathlete10 on

Replies to: Applying to only two colleges- good idea?

• atrophicwhisperatrophicwhisper Posts: 1,744Registered User Senior Member
    You stand a good chance, but you might just want to get a complete safety in there just in case (it shouldn't be too much more work.)
  • lrnprclllrnprcll Posts: 208Registered User Junior Member
    Ahhhh, I'd bet any $$ that you are in at both...

Likewise, even though I bet that you will get in both, if it would make you feel better and less anxious... I'd just apply to one true true safety, just to be sure.

I know a lot of people who only applied to 2 schools though.... Some people who only applied to one. Not everybody applies to 10+ like on here!
  • bigreddawgiebigreddawgie Posts: 2,118Registered User Senior Member
    good chance ull get in both
  • ctParent2006ctParent2006 Posts: 376Registered User Member
    I agree you have very good chances at these two but if Juniata defers your ED application I would add more schools both as safeties and as reach schools. I actually think you should consider shooting for even more competitive schools than these two fine schools.

Depending on your interests you might want to consider Franklin and Marshall, Bates, Muhlenburg or other schools that do not require you to submit SAT scores. Your scores are your only weakness. You could try taking them again or perhaps even try ACT.

I think, but you will have to check, that your high class rank would allow you not to submit your scores to many schools that would love to have someone with your high GPA and class rank. I know of several students who were accepted at the schools listed above with lower GPA and ranks than yours.

Good luck.
  • curlygirl61curlygirl61 Posts: 206Registered User Junior Member
    My son has very similar stats, except a lower GPA. His CR 590, Math 650 and writing 600.

EC's primarily sports and one significant community service. He has been virtually assured that he will be accepted to Moravian. I don't think you will have a problem there at all. Of course, he's from Maine and I think that helps him, but think they will definitely admit you. Your scored are on the high end for them and they basically told my son they were looking for the average b student.
  • MomwaitingfornewMomwaitingfornew Posts: 5,821Super Moderator Senior Member
    If you don't get into Juniata ED, then you must apply to several more schools. Some schools -- and I'm not saying that Juniata is one -- count SAT scores more than they should, so you should brace yourself in case of an ED deferral. Be prepared with a list of alternate schools. Since you're applying to Moravian, you might also like nearby Muhlenberg. Although Muhlenberg is more difficult to get into, you won't get a he's-too-good-for-us rejection.

I do think that you've aimed low (probably because of SAT scores?), but that's not a bad thing if you really love the schools. You need to be aware, however, that many schools will reject or waitlist overqualified applicants, just as some will reject on the basis of test scores alone. You might want to find the list of SAT optional schools to see if any appeal to you, just in case Juniata is one of those colleges that overemphasizes test scores.
  • RootBeerCaesarRootBeerCaesar Posts: 1,377Registered User Senior Member
    ....2 Colleges? That's way too low.

Only two things can come out of this, both of which suck:

1. You get into both, or one of them, but your life-choices are severely limited to those or community college, no choice.
    2. You get rejected by both and thus screwed over completely and go to cc.

Def. apply to more. Some people apply to up to 20.
  • riverrunnerriverrunner Posts: 2,707Registered User Senior Member
    Our GC has recommended that students also apply to a safety that is geographically close to home and very affordable. Why? Because between now and fall of 08, things can happen: your family's financial picture can change, an illness/accident could happen to you or to a family member, a global crisis like 911, Katrina, or movement on the San Andreas could occur, and so on.

Of course, there is little likelihood of any of these things happening to you, or to your dream school, but our GC says that every year, at least one of his students has a shift in their circumstances that requires the student to change college plans to something closer, cheaper and/or somehow safer.

Immediately following 911 in 2001, a number of seniors at our high school completely rethought their plans for attending college in the NE because of fear of terrorism in and around those cities. This year one of my D's friends parents was diagnosed with an illness which could significantly shorten her life. The daughter will be looking at schools closer to home to have more time with her family.

IMHO this is one of those "carry an umbrella" situations.
  • lauralicelauralice Posts: 273Registered User Junior Member
    I applied to two schools .. one was a rolling admissions safety that I heard back from in October.

I think you'll be fine, but an extra super-safety wouldn't hurt.

Good luck !!