Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Very early acceptance letter?

kindaslick89kindaslick89 Posts: 498Registered User Member
edited March 2008 in College Admissions
I am curious, I sent in my application to a school maybe 2-3 weeks before the January 15th RD deadline, and I got my acceptance letter January 23rd. The website of the school says that admissions decisions are mailed on April 1st. How did I get the acceptance letter so early? My stats were slightly over the schools average but not by much.
Post edited by kindaslick89 on

Replies to: Very early acceptance letter?

• auraeightauraeight Posts: 141Registered User Junior Member
    they might've had a rolling admissions policy. what school was this, if you don't mind me asking?
  • kindaslick89kindaslick89 Posts: 498Registered User Member
    I know that they do not have a rolling admissions policy, and the school was George Mason University (like my 4th choice school). I did not think that an admission letter would come soo early. Is this like a freak occurance? They said on the website under important dates that admissions letters would be mailed on april 1st. I didn't receive a scholarship or anything, just a regular applicant.
    I wonder if any other schools will send acceptance letters early, I do not think I can wait till April.
  • kat41911kat41911 Posts: 502Registered User Member
    My friend applied to George Mason, and the same thing happened to her. I'm not quite sure when exactly she sent all her materials (I think early December) and she got her acceptance last week. She also thought it was freakishly fast.
  • rmatairmatai Posts: 46Registered User Junior Member
    i just got my acceptance letter from george mason today, yes it's really fast...maybe you made it into the honors program?
  • huguenothuguenot Posts: 514Registered User Member
    My ds got some ridiculously early acceptances - followed by scholarship offers. I think the colleges do this to get on the radar of top students earlier than other schools. I think it works to some extent, too - if you have two months to think about going there, it might start looking better and better :-)
    Im sure I didn't make it into the honors program, but I was just amazed that I could get a response just a week and a half after the January 15th deadline.
  • JRWriterJRWriter Posts: 205Registered User Junior Member
    george mason sends theirs out quickly, i got mine 3 weeks after i sent it in
  • pip99pip99 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    was it a large package or just a small envelop?
  • Rem4lyfe08Rem4lyfe08 Posts: 171Registered User Junior Member
    Your Lucky
  • aypark922aypark922 Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    Haha Emory did the same thing to me. I applied REg Decision and I was supposed to get the letter April 1st, but it came in February. There were 2 sheets of paper -- one was my acceptance letter and the other was blank. i was like what the heck?! I thought it was a fluke, but I called and they said they just sent it out early by mistake =)