Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

what to say to your friends? (when they get rejected) :(

banana_whizzbanana_whizz Posts: 63Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2008 in College Admissions
I am just wondering what solutions you all have.

Also, especially when you're accepted and they're rejected??
Post edited by banana_whizz on

Replies to: what to say to your friends? (when they get rejected) :(

• enderkinenderkin Posts: 1,667Registered User Senior Member
    don't tell them. then, when they inevitably find out, remind them that college admissions are pretty arbitrary.

then cheer them on when they do accepted somewhere. it usually ends ok.
  • SherwelthlangleySherwelthlangley Posts: 202Registered User Junior Member
    Well, all my friends happen to have the same stats. So if they get rejected, I tell them that if they couldn't get in, none of our friends could either.
  • citygirlsmomcitygirlsmom Posts: 13,158- Senior Member
    My D and her friend were in love with the same school, my D got in, her best friend didn't....it was rough....my D just was low key, knowing that her celebration could wait....

all you could do was give her a hug...and let it be for a day...after that, people bounce back...
  • brunettedudette2brunettedudette2 Posts: 25Registered User New Member
    don't bring it up. usually if you get accepted, then you will talk about it. however, if they are rejected they usually don't bring it up... so you can assume that and not brag. i learned the hard way. my friend, who wanted to go to ucd, and i thought for sure got in, i asked "you got into davis right?!" and i was all excited for her, and then she said "no." awkwaaaaardd. dont do that
  • Columbia_StudentColumbia_Student Posts: 5,046Registered User Senior Member
    I second not to bring it up until she has a spot to go.
  • azngamer54azngamer54 Posts: 705Registered User Member
    Tell them that a unqualified URM, athlete, or legacy took their spot, and they definitely deserve that spot, and he/she will probably end up whining about the college admissions process. Oh wait... thats what everyone here on CC does...:[
  • apathyapathy Posts: 590Registered User Member
    Haha everyone I knew who applied to MIT yesterday cheered and seemed relatively happy when they were rejected. I think with some of the more unrealistic schools people aren't as dejected when they are denied admission.
  • SeniorSlackerSeniorSlacker Posts: 321Registered User Junior Member
    ^agreed.

i usually try to tell them about all the other people at school who were rejected from that school. misery loves company. :)
  • HuntHunt Posts: 20,833Registered User Senior Member
    Say: "That's ridiculous...they should have taken you. They must be nuts." It won't help your friend at all to speculate on what the specific reasons were. If he/she says, "Do you think it's because I failed Calculus?" you should say, "No, I think it's because they are crazy."
    Similarly, if your friend gets in, and asks you, "Do you think I just got in because I'm an athlete/a URM/lucky/etc.?" Say, "No, you got in because you are awesome."
    What are friends for, after all?
  • banana_whizzbanana_whizz Posts: 63Registered User Junior Member
    thanks for all the response you guys :D

and say they already know that you got in... you found out sooner...
    plus, it's really awkward when its their dream school and not yours. it was so awkwarddddd... "I was like, I wish I could give it to you, because you deserve it more than me"
    it sounded retarded
  • chocolatealtoidschocolatealtoids Posts: 339Registered User Member
    I rub it in their faces and be like "ha i gots into teh Harvard and u didntz!"
  • DuperDuper Posts: 1,125- Senior Member
    "L-O-L Fail"
  • AY8888AY8888 Posts: 592User Awaiting Email Confirmation Member
    I just say "there will a better college for you to go to." Or I say nothing if they get rejected from HYP. Although I know some people in my school are sorely tempted to mock those who apply to super top ivies with meager stats and low ECs.
  • sylenteck0sylenteck0 Posts: 352Registered User Member
    Just tell them to make the college regret rejecting them. At least, that's what I do.
  • salpertsalpert Posts: 823Registered User Member
    Funny, right after reading this a friend posted on my facebook congrats about getting into the school I got into and that he got rejected there. Awkward...