Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is 26 a good ACT composite score?

successfulsuccessful Posts: 13Registered User New Member
edited September 2011 in College Admissions
Is 26 a good ACT composite score?
Post edited by successful on

Replies to: Is 26 a good ACT composite score?

• kingofqueenskingofqueens Posts: 516- Member
    Good for some, not good for others.
  • SlowpokeSlowpoke Posts: 80Registered User Junior Member
    Is a 25 good enough for University of Maryland-College Park, Rutgers, Boston University, and Syracuse?
    ^ If you have other strong points on your application, it should be fair enough. Might want to make it a little higher though.
  • BescrazeBescraze Posts: 869Registered User Member
    in general no, but it depends where you apply
  • jym626jym626 Posts: 34,187Registered User Senior Member
    Heres the ACT-SAT comparison table http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/highered/ra/sat/satACT_concordance.pdf
    A 26 is about an 1180 on the old 1600 pt SAT scale
  • Student615Student615 Posts: 1,885Registered User Senior Member
    in general no, but it depends where you apply

25-26 is comfortably above average (80-85%, I believe), meaning that in general, yes! The "it depends where you apply" part is true, though, and key. Whether a score is good *enough*, on its own, to put or keep you in the running for acceptance to a particular school...that's another question altogether, and that would be true whether you'd gotten a 20 or a 30, as well. Whether it's good relative to your PSAT/SAT scores, whether it's good relative to your past performance on standardized tests...all different (and valuable) questions.

You should be able to find average ACT scores of admitted students via schools' webpages, USNews, Princeton Review, random other college info sites, etc.

Best of luck :)
  • radronOmegaradronOmega Posts: 806- Member
    For CC kids: no

For the national average: yes

Will it get you into an ivy: no

Will it get you in a top 100 university? Easily

Just my .02
  • 252525252525 Posts: 263Registered User Junior Member
    radronOmega, how do you define "a CC kid"?
  • john6391john6391 Posts: 762Registered User Member
    ^ people who have above a 3.8 and a 30 ACT
  • AeneasAeneas Posts: 253Registered User Junior Member
    For the vast majority of high schoolers, yes, a 26 is a good score. For CC, on the other hand, I feel rather mediocre with my 32. ;)
    Yeah, I wouldn't even come on CC for advice because of the sheer unrealism that exists here. Just see your counselor or talk to someone else who can help you.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Posts: 12,294Super Moderator Senior Member
    It wasn't enough for UMich instate with good EC's & high gpa, okay high school, this year. It was more than good enough for all the other state schools, though. I just happen to know someone in that boat this year (female).

There will be plenty of good schools you can get into. Apply to a safety or two, and go ahead & try for the reach.
  • Tyler09Tyler09 Posts: 2,768Registered User Senior Member
    26 is a great score

When a couple of my friends got a 26 they were ecstatic! Its surely good enough to get into 95% of schools in the country.
  • taneeshietaneeshie Posts: 143Registered User Junior Member
    I think it's a good score since 21 is the average. I somehow managed to get a 26 on a proctored practice exam as a freshman o___o
  • T26E4T26E4 Posts: 15,286Registered User Senior Member
    Look at the original post date. The OP is probably a college junior now....