Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is the Air Force Academy hard to get into?

r0kAng3lr0kAng3l Posts: 1,682Registered User Senior Member
edited July 2008 in College Admissions
I'm going to apply for the Air Force Academy. I've been researching about the school, finding out how exactly I could get into it. I'm doing AP classes, extra classes online, I'm going to be in ROTC the rest of my high school years, The Debate/Speech Team, Track, and Winter Guard. My freshman year I didn't do that well, because I got a little lazy,(My overall GPA was a 3.6) So that's why I am doing extra classes online to help that up, and my Junior year I'm going to do College Prep. Could anybody give me any other advice? The reason why I'm applying for the Air Force Academy is because I was planning on going to the Air Force, (obviously) and after my years in the military I was going to apply for the CIA or FBI. I thought of the Air Force Academy because it was a good school and it will help me when I'm in the military. Is there any other schools I could also try to apply to help me get into the CIA for the future?
Post edited by r0kAng3l on

Replies to: Is the Air Force Academy hard to get into?

• T26E4T26E4 Posts: 16,103Registered User Senior Member
    Firstly, you need to re-evaluate why you want to go to the AFA. Its EXTREMELY rigorous vetting system is designed to admit only those candidates who have the STRONGEST motivations to be career USAF officers. Certainly not everyone who graduates continues on with a lifelong career as an officer and leader of men and machinery in the USAF but pretty much the vast majority. If you in ANY way only see the AFA as a stepping stone, then I suggest you not apply there.

As for the CIA, you can contact them even now. They and other intelligence agencies (like the NSA) offer guidance for HS students who wish to ready themselves to serve in those services. They can direct you to certain fields of study or even schools that they find higher densities of qualified applicants that will make you the most valuable to them upon graduation. I'm not sure if the FBI has this advising service but it wouldn't surprise me.

A recent thread by someone who seeming had no idea of what is in store was posted. Several illuminating replies were given. Have a read:
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/535236-any-advice-military-academy-please.html
  • raimiusraimius Posts: 2,359Registered User Senior Member
    You do realize there is a forum on this site, exclusively about USAFA, don't you?

From what you stated, it sounds like you are roughly on the right track to be appointed...stats wise (no guarantees, of course).