Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

how much does NHS matter?

siglio21siglio21 Posts: 2,678Registered User Senior Member
edited August 2008 in College Admissions
i really don't want to bother submitting those forms and dues...will college reject me just 'cause i wasn't a NHS member?
Post edited by siglio21 on

Replies to: how much does NHS matter?

• milessmilesmilessmiles Posts: 405Registered User Member
    For Ivies and schools of that caliber, NHS means zero. As you make your way down it's probably a tiny boost. But overall, it's nothing to worry about.
  • Phead128Phead128 Posts: 2,091Registered User Senior Member
    as a former NHS president, it doesn't matter a lot. Though, I'd put it on your application if I was you. I don't think there was anyone in my HS that qualified for it and didn't join it. The ceremony and everything, makes your parents proud that your son or daughter is " smart ." lol
  • zoosermomzoosermom Posts: 23,570Registered User Senior Member
    It depends on the schools to which you apply. My daughter got a very nice scholarship for NHS. Of course, in her high school it was very selective and difficult to get into.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 54Registered User Junior Member
    It definitely depends on the school. It may give a small boost, but schools are wising up to how NHS works. At our school, NHS members get hours by cheating( i.e: doing "community service" at a local library... they just sit there and do homework and get someone to sign that they "did" the hours). In my state, schools like U of Michigan and Michigan State do not give a rat's *** if you were in NHS. The reason is because of simple things like non academic electives that can boost one's GPA. Also, there was this one girl in NHS at my school that was failing her History , English, and Biology classes and coaxed the teachers in giving her extra credit to boost her grade up 3 letters. Schools are wising up to this, so NHS doesn't matter.

Personally, I declined joining it because most schools won't look too much into it.
  • paul09paul09 Posts: 270Registered User Junior Member
    Or here's another light: If you like helping people and your community, it is a great organization. NHS is only as great as the members who actually choose to get involved and make a difference.
  • phishfan0969phishfan0969 Posts: 455Registered User Member
    it doesn't matter so much. If a person has good grades, the college sees that on the application anyway...and most colleges understand that students shouldn't have a program telling them to do community service but they should be doing it on their own.
  • Silverzc413Silverzc413 Posts: 460Registered User Member
    I'm not sure about other schools, but people in our NHS don't really do anything at all once they are in.
  • paul09paul09 Posts: 270Registered User Junior Member
    My school NHS requires that you get 40 hrs a year. We do everything from puppy washes to donating thousands of dollars to the local soup kitchen. It really bothers me when many of your chapters do nothing, then my school's chapter goes above and beyond around the school and community.
  • Phead128Phead128 Posts: 2,091Registered User Senior Member
    I got a $1000 scholarship from my NHS chapter btw. lol
  • asianamiasianami Posts: 47Registered User Junior Member
    Honestly, I doubt it at all. It's just another EC that doesn't stand out much.
  • aabbcc1789aabbcc1789 Posts: 931- Member
    nhs at my school = participation award
  • JoeTrumpetJoeTrumpet Posts: 386Registered User Member
    I was inducted junior year, but I dropped it after I realized what a waste of my time it was. My colleges didn't care.
  • MIT 012MIT 012 Posts: 359Registered User Member
    NHS does not matter at all. Do your community service from your
    heart and forget about NHS.
  • Bigb14Bigb14 Posts: 2,044Registered User Senior Member
    this is sort of irrelevant, but i didn't want to make another thread

does it matter to colleges where you do your community service? for example, does it matter if i do community service at the library or at a hospital?
  • zmoose27zmoose27 Posts: 252Registered User Junior Member
    I know of three people in my school who didn't make NHS. Of them, one went to the Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown, one went to Brown University, and the last went to NYU. From this, I think you'll get into college w/o NHS. So the answer to your question is NO.