Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Should I send all my ACT scores?

ChiHF9009ChiHF9009 Posts: 180Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2008 in College Admissions
The first time I took the ACT, I got a 27. After about 2 months, I got 29 and then 4 months after, I got 32.

Do colleges want to look at this improvement or does it not matter?

What if I got about the same score on the SAT around the time I took my first ACT? Do they see that there have been a improvement from the SAT or do they not count it since they are different tests?
Post edited by ChiHF9009 on

Replies to: Should I send all my ACT scores?

• CaillebotteCaillebotte Posts: 1,546Registered User Senior Member
    Send only your highest score.
  • drusbadrusba Posts: 7,806Registered User Senior Member
    Improvement is irrelevant, and you need send only your highest and save the money you would have to spend sending the others (ACT charges for each test sent to each college).
  • chubeebochubeebo Posts: 489Registered User Member
    send only the 32. Good work on the improvement.
  • Motherof2girlsMotherof2girls Posts: 104Registered User Junior Member
    Is 32 considered a good score or a great score ?
  • CaseSpartan10CaseSpartan10 Posts: 321Registered User Member
    I don't think a 32 would keep someone out of a school.
  • chubeebochubeebo Posts: 489Registered User Member
    A 32 would be on the high end of a big majority of schools, but could be the average on the highly selective colleges. The best way to find out is to look for the 25%-75% ACT range of your target colleges, and see where that 32 fits in. Those ranges would be in the individual college web sites, college search sites (ex. CollegeBoard), and college-related publications such as USNews Best Colleges, Princeton College guides, etc. You can also search the profiles here in CC and find out how other applicants fared. Good luck momOf2.
  • drusbadrusba Posts: 7,806Registered User Senior Member
    Simple comparison, middle 50% ACT range for:
    Harvard: 31-35
    University of Wisconsin: 26-30
    University of New Mexico: 19-25

As you can see, whether a 32 is just average, very good, or great just depends on the college to which you apply. It is high enough to get you in the considered range of applicants for even the most selective colleges like Harvard but for those there is no score that is considered "great" -- they seem to enjoy rejecting some with 2400 SAT's and 36 ACT's.
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 139Registered User Junior Member
    Motherof2.....A 32 is in the top 1% of all students taking the test.

How much better do you need to be? A 32 is a good enough score for any college in American.
  • RahoulVARahoulVA Posts: 1,364Registered User Senior Member
    Same for 1400/1600 on the SAT, but you need a 1500 for Harvard not to give you a disadvantage for your scores. Their 75 percentile for CR is 800! Their top 25% have an 800, but they still reject half of the 2400s that apply there.
  • Somewhere2012Somewhere2012 Posts: 336Registered User Member
    Agreed, send your 32 score. Suggestion; now that you have your score, work on community service or something like that to strengthen your application. It is true that just an ACT score alone will not get you into every school. Best of luck.