Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Do collegees even care about NHS?

serenap73serenap73 Posts: 92Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2008 in College Admissions
I am debating on whether or not to even apply because the app is so long and it is due in 2 days.
Post edited by serenap73 on

Replies to: Do collegees even care about NHS?

• VelsparVelspar Posts: 27Registered User New Member
    If the length of a form is a factor for you to join National Honor Society you may need to re-think your priorities. That's just my opinion.
  • 'rentof2'rentof2 Posts: 4,327Registered User Senior Member
    I don't think it matters much. If you're not interested in it, use the time to pursue a meaningful EC instead. What colleges really care about is some evidence of involvment in things you really care about. If you don't care about NHS, then don't waste your valuable time with it when you could direct that time to something that really matters to you. NHS means such different things at different high schools. In some it's a meaningless EC filler, in others it's a popularity contest, in others it's a very big committment and a significant achievement. Colleges don't really see those distinctions when you just put NHS on your list of ECs. So, no, in a sense they're not going to care about it anymore than you do... best thing is to spend your time pursuing ECs that really call out to you. Nothing wrong with NHS, of course, to those students who are invested and committed to it at their school. Investment and committment are the key point, not so much which organization or activity you choose.
  • groupiegurl143groupiegurl143 Posts: 76Registered User Junior Member
    National Honor Society is a a very good plus to have on your resume. I was in the NJHS (J = junior) as an 8th grader and was inducted into NSHS (Spanish) as a sophomore and NHS as a junior in high school. Now I'm an officer (Sergeant-At-Arms).

Colleges really like seeing NHS on an application. Not only does it show you have the grades to get in, but that you care enough to apply (oh come on... the application is not that long, a lot shorter than the college applications I have filled out), can meet deadlines, and are responsible. Not all who apply to NHS are inducted, applicants are evaluated on thier service to others and many other important aspects.

In my opinion, you should definitely apply. It doesn't take up a lot of time (a couple days a month max.) Who knows, with the attitude that the "app is to long!!!!!" you might not even get in.
  • zoosermomzoosermom Posts: 23,836Registered User Senior Member
    Every school's NHS is different. In some places it's selective and worthwhile and in others it's worthless. I've been told that the absence is more glaring than the presence of NHS on an application, but who knows?

There are some some colleges that offer scholarships for membership. My daughter got a couple of thousand a year at her private school. So if money matters, it can be a small amount that adds up to a bigger amount and makes a school affordable.
  • 'rentof2'rentof2 Posts: 4,327Registered User Senior Member
    groupiegirl, the reasoning that it shows you had the grades to get in isn't a reason in itself to join. Your grades will be evident to college admissions whether you're in it or not. Not many kids join it here --this area is kind of counter-cultural-- and yet last year there were plenty of admissions to tip top schools... and for a little small town high school in the middle of nowhere.

So if it's meaningful to a student, as it clearly is to you, then that's great. If it's not, a student may or may not want to join, but would be well-advised to find some activity that truly is.
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Posts: 6,668Registered User Senior Member
    At some schools you get in automatically with a certain GPA, and at some schools the teachers choose who is in. At some schools NHS does a lot and at some it is inactive. And some high schools, like the one my kids go to, do not have a chapter of NHS.
  • MIT 012MIT 012 Posts: 359Registered User Member
    At the HS I graduated from NHS was selective allright- based on GPA
    - top colleges do not give a hoot about it.

I fyou are inclined to do community service do it directly and do nto
    waste your time on NHS.
  • ironmetal250ironmetal250 Posts: 743- Member
    Well, if you're going to be the president of NHS...
  • lilyrobinlilyrobin Posts: 489Registered User Member
    ironmetal-Wait, is a good thing to be president? Especially if your NHS is pretty active around the school?
  • groupiegurl143groupiegurl143 Posts: 76Registered User Junior Member
    My NHS is very selective and not just based on grades. It's based on character and a few other factors and multiple teachers review the applications. We also do a lot of community service activities. I don't know, it just seems like it would be more of a plus to have it on your resume than to not have it.
    All all leadership positions look good, no matter what the extracurricular.
  • mydixiewreckedmydixiewrecked Posts: 268- Junior Member
    it's not incredibly important, but worth mentioning
  • reverie91reverie91 Posts: 106Registered User Junior Member
    At my school, NHS is actually pretty selective. Our grades only set the qualifications for review. Actual acceptance is based on leadership, service, honors, and extracurricular activities, as well as an essay.
  • ColdWindColdWind Posts: 1,598- Senior Member
    I agree with Post #8 in that highly selective colleges & universities don't care. As at least one other poster noted, standards for membership vary by school so NHS doesn't mean much other than as a resume padder-that is quite obvious.
  • jessica725jessica725 Posts: 63Registered User Junior Member
    Well, I think a lot of it depends on where your school is located because that can heavily effect how active your NHS actually is. In my case, my school is very unknown and our NHS doesn't do smack. As a result, admission officers probably could care less about my NHS chapter, but might care more about one in, say, Thomas Jefferson High School For Science and Technology.
  • gthopefulgthopeful Posts: 1,828Registered User Senior Member
    NHS is redundant with GPA. It's worthless by itself.