Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

what good colleges accept kids with low gpa but high sat score?

bballazbballaz Posts: 147Registered User Junior Member
edited February 2012 in College Admissions
what good colleges accept kids with low gpa but high sat score?
Post edited by bballaz on

Replies to: what good colleges accept kids with low gpa but high sat score?

• bballazbballaz Posts: 147Registered User Junior Member
    guys. I really gotta know where I stand a chance. I applied to Emory ED I and was rejected. I had a 2130 SAT score and a 3.2 GPA. PLease give me some schools where i stand a chance
  • arduouspallorarduouspallor Posts: 1,106Registered User Senior Member
    Your best bet will be, like most people have, getting a few sure safeties, some matches, and some reaches. All schools have information about the GPA/SAT ranges of their incoming freshman class on their websites. They're all even compiled on college board. If you GPA is, say, .5 pts lower and your SAT score is in the range, it's probably a reach. If the average is like 3.5 and your SATs are a little higher, it's probably a low reach/high safety.
  • bballazbballaz Posts: 147Registered User Junior Member
    Guys, I really have only 2 weeks and Im going to try to apply to at least 10 schools. Im probably going to have to write 2 essays per day. Can you guys please list colleges I might have a chance and some schools that have ED II?
  • daman11daman11 Posts: 904Registered User Member
    Vanderbilt and Pomona have EDII
  • binglebingle Posts: 427Registered User Member
    Without knowing what made Emory your first choice, it's hard to know but here are some others that have similarities (uni in east/southeast) but slightly lower hs rank and/or higher acceptance.
    Vanderbilt (TN)
    Carnegie Mellon (PA)
    Wake Forest (NC)
    UVa (VA)

Also, look in college board or another search tool using a lower SAT score and the rest of your info. Schools where you're a "match" except your SAT is anomalously high will probably want you. Once you find some, then look for a few where you gpa is in the lowest quartile
    and one or two where your GPA is in the highest and that should give you a good set.

Finally, I've heard about a book called something like "Colleges that change lives" I don't know anything about it personally, but I either heard, or got a sense from the title, that it listed colleges where students who "haven't been working up to their potential" realize that potential.
  • entomomentomom Posts: 23,661Registered User Senior Member
    Closing old thread
This discussion has been closed.