Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

D in CALCULUS, should I DROP IT?

iwannagotobrowniwannagotobrown Posts: 173Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2009 in College Admissions
I'm currently a junior taking BC Calc and the class is killing me. Should I drop it or try to get an A next semester? And yes I can drop it if I want because the semester is not yet over.
Post edited by iwannagotobrown on

Replies to: D in CALCULUS, should I DROP IT?

• nooobnooob Posts: 2,065Registered User Senior Member
    do you think you can pull off an A next semester? if not, i say drop it. Even if you don't drop it though and get an A second semester, wouldn't it average out to be around a B?
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Posts: 6,665Registered User Senior Member
    Drop it if you don't need it to graduate.
  • broetchenbroetchen Posts: 1,130Registered User Member
    drop it. There is another thread here about some one getting deferred from their safeties because of one D in AP physics.
  • ATLs09ATLs09 Posts: 453Registered User Member
    I really wouldnt drop it, especially if you are a junior, I would try to study and pull of a B even if it means getting a tutor or something. Dropping a course will look just as bad and shows you "give up if you fail". If you think you can pull of something a little higher going from a D to a C or B will show you can improve and grow. But if you dont think it is possible, you will still look bad, but wont get two "D's" at least
  • siliconvalleymomsiliconvalleymom Posts: 3,553Registered User Senior Member
    Drop it. Replace it next semester with an equally challenging class better suited to your strengths.
    ^If your on AB schedule, you cant pick up another AP class, at least at my school..
  • iwannagotobrowniwannagotobrown Posts: 173Registered User Junior Member
    thanks guys...yeah i think i can get an A next semester..but there is still going to be a D on my transcript..making it impossible for me to be a competitive applicant to top colleges..:(

soo, yeah major dilemma. I really don't want to give up. I do have a legit reason for the D though.
    and no i dont have an AB schedule.
    Yeah..same with the other thread on the person who got a D in AP Physics..if you can pull that up to an A that would be a lot better than dropping.
  • arduouspallorarduouspallor Posts: 1,106Registered User Senior Member
    I would drop it, try to get some supplemental classes for Calculus, and then retake it senior year to show you don't give up.
    my GPA is going to be 3.8UW, which is ok..but..still..

aaaaarrghh I'm confused..i think it's impossible to get into BRown with a D
    yeah ardouspallow, that's what I'm thinking of doing.
  • Student92Student92 Posts: 194Registered User Junior Member
    I dropped AP physics my junior year and took it again this year. I got a 14 on the first test last year, but this year I have a solid B+ to A-. I'd say drop it and give it a year, maybe when you have a better schedule for all the studying (that was my issue)
  • CoolbrezzeCoolbrezze Posts: 5,403Registered User Senior Member
    If you really want to take the class, I wouldn't drop it. Just try to put more thought into the class.
  • wutheringgcwutheringgc Posts: 112Registered User Junior Member
    is taking AP Calc even worth it? I'm a junior and I'm thinking about taking it next year. Thing is I don't really enjoy math, even though im alright at it. I'm already planning on taking AP Govt/Econ, AP Euro, AP Lit, so should I take just honors calc or ap? i have a 100 in pre-cal honors currently.