Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Rejected for being overqualified?

xgreatescapexxgreatescapex Posts: 109Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2009 in College Admissions
I just got rejected (waitlisted) from Babson College for being overqualified? WHAT IS THIS? They claim I'm "highly qualified" and wish me luck to another school. Another one of my friends got accepted with an SAT score of 1920, and my stats are better than his.

I'm not sure if it's cause of their 400 student body, but it doesn't make sense...

SAT: 2140.

Thoughts?
Post edited by xgreatescapex on

Replies to: Rejected for being overqualified?

• nwmplnwmpl Posts: 42Registered User Junior Member
    Sorry, that's a nice way of telling you they are rejecting you... They are saying you are 'highly qualified' but other applicants were more qualified than you.
  • xgreatescapexxgreatescapex Posts: 109Registered User Junior Member
    Well they said I'm highly qualified and not a fit for their school. They basically told me that I got rejected/waitlisted for being too qualified...and one of my friends, whose stats are significantly lower than mine, got in, and my essay was "great" as per one of my Stanford interviewer. So, I doubt that.
  • Ari7Ari7 Posts: 489Registered User Member
    Pretty much all rejection letters compliment you on the quality of your application :(
  • tjan91tjan91 Posts: 746Registered User Member
    Nope, they waitlisted you even though you were "highly qualified" as stated in the letter. It doesn't mean that you are overqualified, and keep in mind that SAT scores/stats do not mean everything.

Good luck with the rest of your colleges.
  • nwmplnwmpl Posts: 42Registered User Junior Member
    What school was it? And what exactly did they say (like, full sentence)?
    Yeah, I understand that, but this one blatantly says that I far exceed their qualifications, I can read :P.
  • tjan91tjan91 Posts: 746Registered User Member
    Would you mind typing it up then?
    Well the letter was online and accessible the first time I logged in. I'm trying to get it now, but it redirects me to a different page, a page with the waitlisting form or something, but I'm most definitely sure it said I was too qualified, and I've read rejection letters for others before, so I know how they are.
    Does anyone know about this? specifically for babson
  • collegealum314collegealum314 Posts: 6,455Registered User Senior Member
    From what I know, Babson College is a very hands-on business school. So I suspect they value business experience or entrepeneurship much more than stats (unlike Wharton, whose philosophy is a little more to take the smartest people they can who look like they are interested in business.)

Your waitlist may still not make sense in the context of what I've said, but I thought I would mention it in case you didn't know that Babson may do things differently.
    Ah, well that might be a factor.
  • benny1benny1 Posts: 201Registered User Junior Member
    There's more to getting into a college than just the SAT score. Every top school rejects students with scores higher than those of other students they accept. I don't think an undergrad business school is requiring business experience at your age, but there may be other factors (grades, classes taken, activities, essay, teacher recs, interview if you had one, geography, etc.).

They said you were "highly qualified." That's standard rejection letter talk. It doesn't mean you were over-qualified. As someone else said, it means you were highly qualified, not just highly qualified enough.
  • ModadunnModadunn Posts: 6,212Registered User Senior Member
    Basically they are saying that there are many very well qualified and even over qualified candidates for admissions but that they can't accept them all, nor do they want to. College admissions is a very subjective science and perhaps attitudes (such as I got a better score and so therefore am more qualified on all fronts) are taken into account as to who would fit best into their community.
  • benny1benny1 Posts: 201Registered User Junior Member
    Seriously ... if you were over-qualified for admission, they'd refer to a program for which you were appropriately qualified. They would not waitlsit you for you the same program.

I've never heard of a college applicant being rejected for being "over-qualifed." And this includes PhDs and MDs changing careers and going back for second Bachelor's or Master's. On the contrary, they're generally welcomed with open arms.

Don't confuse college admissions with applying for a job at McDonald's. The first clue at the difference might be that in the former case you pay them; in the latter case, they pay you.

Good luck.
  • cafesimonecafesimone Posts: 673Registered User Member
    There is always the Tufts syndrome...