Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Which volunteer oppurtunity would look best on an application?

corey91corey91 Posts: 902Registered User Member
edited April 2009 in College Admissions
As I posted here -> http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/680378-very-few-ec-but-all-same-area-study.html I need a few more ECs. I don't have a lot of time available but I am going to make it work.

All of the volunteer postions I would enjoy doing so it is just a matter of which one would you consider the best one to devote my time too.

Tutoring Homeless Children (3x a week 1.5 hours)

YIKES! (Youth Involved in Keeping Earth Sustainable) - (I am vegan and very enviromentally aware, which may be an essay topic)

Food Bank Warehouse Worker (Sorting and packaging foods, flexible hours)

UNC-TV Tour Guide (Giving tours of the TV station, shows leadership and public speaking abilities)
Post edited by corey91 on

Replies to: Which volunteer oppurtunity would look best on an application?

• NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Posts: 24,853Registered User Senior Member
    The one that you'd most enjoy and would do with independence, responsibility, creativity and leadership would look best. Depending on what you like, that could be any of the ones you listed. What matters is what you do with the opportunity you get. This includes what you'll learn about yourself, the world, what ideas you may be inspired to pursue, etc. From what you've posted, it seems YIKES might be the one that would inspire you to do the most leadership, etc.
  • urmomgoes2colegeurmomgoes2colege Posts: 512- Member
    Oh god... This thread is pathetic and so are you.
  • corey91corey91 Posts: 902Registered User Member
    I need more volunteer work and I would enjoy all of these oppurtunities. If I had the time I would be more than happy to pursue all of these but since I don't and I can only choose one I wanted more opinions on which one would best represent my strengths.
  • Behnam91Behnam91 Posts: 169Registered User Junior Member
    It's urmomgoes2colege's attitude that got thousands of students rejected from their first-choice schools. DO NOT approach these things like you'll be fine if you do whatever you think you are passionate about. DO WHAT'S MOST IMPRESSIVE! The truth is that you should do something you are passionate about of course, but do something UNIQUE. Put yourself in a Dean's shoes and ask yourself what you want to see that would indicate a student will be successful at your college. If it were up to me, I'd go with the TV tour thing. Sounds more impressive than the other things listed, and like you said, it shows leadership qualities. Good luck!
  • hj0519hj0519 Posts: 631Registered User Member
    Pursue what you're most interested in pursuing. We don't know your strengths, so how are we supposed to tell you what "best represents" them? Really, just do what you really want to do, what you're going to enjoy doing the most and don't worry about which is going to look best on college applications, because as long as you're interested in it and you can express passion about it then it will be good for your app.

I saw from your other thread that you're a rider - me too - and I totally understand not having a ton of time and being very busy at the barn. Are you planning on riding in college?
    You don't need a few more ECs. You have some outstanding ECs already. The fact that they're focused on your horse isn't a negative. No reason to try to decorate your application by adding additional activities that would take away time from what you're enjoying. If you really want to do volunteer work, do so. But doing volunteer work isn't required for college admissions.

If you want to give back to society, perhaps there's something that you can do with horses that would allow you to do that. Perhaps, for instance, you could raise money for a horse rescue nonprofit, but only do this if you're interested, not to look good.

I personally think that everyone -- particularly in developed countries like the U.S. -- should be giving back to society in some way, just because we are so fortunate, and so many people are in need. That's my opinion, however, not a college requirement.
  • a_moma_mom Posts: 474Registered User Member
    "I personally think that everyone -- particularly in developed countries like the U.S. -- should be giving back to society in some way, just because we are so fortunate, and so many people are in need. That's my opinion, however, not a college requirement. "

Well said, northstarmom. But I alway have a question back in my mind, if college is not looking into ECs/communisity service anymore, are the hospital, library, senior center, etc. still filled up with student volunteers?
    Yes, there are student volunteers because although colleges in general don't care that much about volunteering (or about ECs in general either), students think colleges care. That's why one sees so many students here on CC bragging about their service hours.

Also many high schools as well as some specific h.s. programs like IB and h.s. clubs like NHS require students to do community service.

There also are families like mine that believe in the importance of giving back to one's community.
  • MomwaitingfornewMomwaitingfornew Posts: 5,821Registered User Senior Member
    I agree with Northstarmom. Both the public HS my D attended for a year and the private one she finished up with required community service. The private school required many more hours, not because they thought it would look good on college applications but because of the school's founding philosophy. Still, community service was required.
  • liek0806liek0806 Posts: 3,316Registered User Senior Member
    Yikes seems to be the most relative to you.
  • nimby58nimby58 Posts: 217Registered User Junior Member
    "Yes, there are student volunteers because although colleges in general don't care that much about volunteering (or about ECs in general either), students think colleges care. That's why one sees so many students here on CC bragging about their service hours."

While I would agree that students should not do things because they look good on an application (because it's really obvious and ultimately meaningless), I would never say that colleges don't care much about volunteering or ECs in general. When these activities rise from the level of minor league clubs to a major league passion then they speak very eloquently beyond stats about who someone is and what they'd bring to a campus. These things won't get you in when you don't have strong academic ability, but they do help tell a more compelling story about who you are and this definitely helps with admission prospects.
    "When these activities rise from the level of minor league clubs to a major league passion then they speak very eloquently beyond stats about who someone is and what they'd bring to a campus"

That's very true, however most colleges make admission decisions mainly on stats, due to getting many applications from students who lack the stats to be able to be successful at a particular college. At most, for most colleges, ECs, community service may be major factors in merit aid.

In general, it's only the very top colleges for which ECs, volunteer work are very important in admission, and that's because such colleges have an overabundance of high stat applicants, so pick and choose from among those high stat applicants using ECs, service, and other factors to select students in order to create classes that are diverse and will contribute to an active, wideranging, campus life.

The students who did ECs and service only to decorate their resumes or to amass what students think are an impressive # of hours aren't likely to impress such colleges that are evaluating ECs and service by the results, effort, creativity, independence, responsibility, etc., not by the hours students put in. Such colleges know that students can amass lots of hours by simply showing up and staring off in space at many places.