Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UNC Chapel Hill

crzybacardi07crzybacardi07 Posts: 57Registered User Junior Member
edited June 2005 in College Admissions
What would ideal stats for GPA on a 4.0 scale and SAT score be for having a relatively good chance of getting in assuming that I have a good amount of extra-curriculars for Chapel Hill?

Not a resident
Asian
Tough Magnet School 200 students in class
Post edited by crzybacardi07 on

Replies to: UNC Chapel Hill

• willmingtonwavewillmingtonwave Posts: 3,344Registered User Senior Member
    As perfect as you can get for GPA, a 2100+ might be enough,
  • crzybacardi07crzybacardi07 Posts: 57Registered User Junior Member
    Would a 3.8 or 3.9 be sufficient?
  • Majayiduke09Majayiduke09 Posts: 929Registered User Member
    You are going to need to "wow" the admissions board. UNC-Chapel Hill already has a pretty low acceptance rate--37% last time I checked--for a state university. Of course, the admissions board gives preference to in-state students--I believe according to the charter, 83%? must be residents of NC.

I think you will need more than an excellent GPA and good SAT score. Also, the quality of the ECs, not the amount, is important.
    Thanks, ya I have a couple of ec's that I'm really involved in... Latin club -State- 4th in Latin Grammar, latin consul-(president), started a latin tutoring club, gold medalist in NLE, Summa Cum Laude
    Science Fair- Science Summer Research Program, State Science Fair (Placed 2nd), Junior Academy (Placed 1st)

Please reply, anyones opinions would be appreciated.
    Bump bump bump bump
  • uvajackuvajack Posts: 1,376Registered User Senior Member
    I was accepted to UNC instate but for you it will be MUCH MUCH more difficult. Chapel-Hill accepts very few out-of-staters. An average instate acceptee for unc would probably have a 3.7-3.8 uw, and a 1290 SAT. Out of state you could probably add .1 - .15 points to the gpa and add 70-100 pts. to the SAT. You will need to be distinctive, and give the admissions committee a sense of what you would ADD to the Chapel-Hill environment. Stand out, and explain why chapel-hill would be a good match, and good luck!
  • tsdadtsdad Posts: 4,029Registered User Senior Member
    Admission is even more because many of the out of state slots are taken up by athletes and children of out of state alum. The latter are given special consideration in admission and are put in a different admissions' pool.

My wife and I are both out of state UNC alumni, and our son was accepted, but chose not to go, in 2003.