Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Colleges that do not require a high school diploma

saturnnesaturnne Posts: 149Registered User Junior Member
edited May 2012 in College Admissions
What are some competitive colleges that do not require a high school diploma? My high school does not have an early graduation program, but I want to apply for college in the fall of my junior year (the reasons are adequate and somewhat necessary, actually).
Post edited by saturnne on

Replies to: Colleges that do not require a high school diploma

• rgrodenrgroden Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    Many- Wlliams, Dartmouth, Harvard, Amherst, Swarthmore..check the common data set for each college. The answer is there.
  • littlepoliticianlittlepolitician Posts: 115Registered User Junior Member
    bumping this up, anyone have like a list of them?
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,412Registered User Senior Member
    The simple fact is that very few colleges/universities actually require a HS diploma. What they do require is evidence that you are prepared for the demands of college-level academic work, and have the social skills to function in the college/university environment. Make a list of the institutions that you are interested in, and then read through their websites to find out what you would need to do in order to apply there.

Wishing you all the best.
  • anotherparentanotherparent Posts: 1,275Registered User Senior Member
    My son got into Caltech, MIT, UCLA, Berkeley and UCSD without a diploma (we homeschool). The only school that turned him down was UCSC (which was his ultimate safety). The more selective a school, the more sophisticated their adcoms, thus they will look at your entire app.
  • SikorskySikorsky Posts: 5,851Registered User Senior Member
    My sister went to Oberlin after her junior year of HS. Oberlin still takes juniors from time to time.
  • debra49debra49 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    Colleges that dont need a high school diploma
  • GhosttGhostt Posts: 1,579Registered User Senior Member
    Many colleges practice early admission. Like, many many. So chill.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 36,981Registered User Senior Member
    The University of California says that:
    If students do not have a high school diploma, we will accept the Certificate of Proficiency awarded by the State Board of Education upon successful completion of the California High School Proficiency Examination. We'll also accept proficiency examinations from other states, and the General Education Development (GED) Certificate, in place of a diploma.

However, students must still meet the subject, scholarship and examination requirements.
  • anotherparentanotherparent Posts: 1,275Registered User Senior Member
    Repeating what I said - my son got into UCLA/UCB and UCSD without a diploma, though it may be that they assumed he did have one, though I am not sure how they could have come to that conclusion. They just assumed that since he has a transcript, created by me, that he had a diploma?

BTW, this year my daughter got into Willamette, Colorado College, St Johns College and Scripps without a diploma.
  • Medical911Medical911 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    I agree with you. I received a Masters Degree and I do not have a high school diploma or a GED. It is possible.
  • thickmadame91thickmadame91 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    how did u do that?
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Posts: 19,689Super Moderator Senior Member
    Since that poster had one post I doubt you'll get an answer.
  • jvtDadjvtDad Posts: 658Registered User Member
    I don't have a HS diploma. I've actually had many nightmares (as in sleeping, not the speech ones) about that. Many times I woke up in the middle of the night and walked over to my degrees haning on a wall to make sure my name is on it. LOL.

BTW, I dropped out HS in my birth country after 10th grade. I came to the US at age 18. Finished college and grad schools here. If I recall correctly, I listed something like NA on the HS diploma question on my college app. Never finish HS or GED.
This discussion has been closed.