Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

1570 on my SAT..can i go to college?

mewiowmewiow Posts: 23Registered User New Member
edited October 2009 in College Admissions
im an international :(
i actually cried ALOT when i got these scores!
my first attempt at SAT and im a senior..
dont be mean please,, im already depressed enough
i got CR: 570
MM: 510
WR:490
GPA: 3.9
120 hrs of volunteer at a local vet
president of the volunteer club
and... that's about all
and i want to major in Biology, or Marine biology, or Zoology
do i have a chance at these schools at ALL??
* Albany SU
* Boston U
* Emory U
* Florida SU
* Georgia SU
* Miami U Oxford
* New York U
* SUNY Stony Brook
* U Hawaii Manoa
* Wake Forest U
and if non of these schools seem applicable for me, than what schools are??

please help me! thank you
Post edited by mewiow on

Replies to: 1570 on my SAT..can i go to college?

• SirensongSirensong Posts: 963User Awaiting Email Confirmation Member
    Here are some things I would suggest:
    1. Re-take the SAT, or take the ACT. I would get a practice book on each and see which one you do will better on with a diagnostic practice test. Then I would buckle down and study until you've done all the practice tests and looked at all the tips, and take it again in december.

2. Look at schools that are test-optional: Optional List | FairTest. With a 3.9 GPA, you will be pretty competitive at a lot of schools, despite the fact that you don't have very many ECs.

The only schools I really am familiar with off of your list are Boston, NYU, and Wake Forest, and unfortunately I think they're fairly long shots at this point.

Also, where are you an international from, because that will make a HUGE difference.
  • mewiowmewiow Posts: 23Registered User New Member
    im a international from korea,,, i guess that makes me a majority.. lol
    thank you for your response! im planning to retake the SAT on dec.5,, even though i doubt that it will make a big difference though! xD
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,409Registered User Senior Member
    You need to take the TOEFL.

It is possible that many of your problems with the SAT are due to your low English language skills. Your TOEFL score will help colleges and universities better interpret your SAT scores.

You need to do some formal preparation before you take the SAT again. Get a practice book, and take one of the tests. Look very carefully at the mistakes that you have made. If there is a pattern to your mistakes, then you can concentrate on improving those specific skills. Practice these skills while you work your way through the other tests in the book.

If you do not need any financial aid, there are many colleges and universities in the US where you can study biology. You can search for them at College MatchMaker - Type of School

Good luck!
  • MinJaeMinJae Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    Retake the sats and this time actually study, take a lot of practice test, and go buy several SAT books. Then test, test, test, and test. I honestly think you would be fine getting into SUNY Stony Brook, and U Hawaii Monoa. The other colleges are a reach right now because of your SAT score and yes it would be wise to take TOEFL since you are an international student.
  • keylymekeylyme Posts: 2,825Registered User Senior Member
    Wake Forest does not use SAT scores.
  • mewiowmewiow Posts: 23Registered User New Member
    oh thank you guys..:) i was in panic, but this made me feel better about my situation.
    i have although taken the toefl computer based test on 10/18 and waiting for the results to come out. i will take you guys advice in to action, and study for the SAT again and achieve higher, so that maybe i will get a more wide range of colleges to choose from..
    i wonder when my relief from colleges and tests will be.. haha thank you guys again for your help :)