Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Dropping AP class in high school

sqdwfe13sqdwfe13 Posts: 1,261Registered User Member
edited November 2009 in College Admissions
I'm in AP Economics right now, and it's by far the hardest class I've ever taken. I've gotten As in other AP classes, but in this class I've barely managed a C. I think it's just the teacher who makes it super hard because when I read the textbook, I actually understand it but in class, I'm just lost. And I think it's just me, because everyone else seems to understand the material perfectly. Even when I go in for extra help and have my teacher explain things to me, it just doesn't get through my head.

So my question is: should I drop the class?

My school just finished its 1st quarter (quarter=marking period). So, I could either...

1) Stick this through for 1 more quarter and probably make a D in the class for the semester (if I'm lucky, a C). I wouldn't understand any of the material even if I still took the class. Then I could drop the class 2nd semester before the deadline after which a "W" shows up on your transcript.

2) I could withdraw right now and have my report card note the withdrawal grade as a C. But this will greatly reduce the stress I endure from schoolwork and give me back my sanity.

I really, really want to drop this class but the only thing stopping me is my worry about how colleges will perceive it. How bad will it look, really? I mean, I've done well in all my other classes, give or take a couple of Bs in math classes..
I don't need this class to graduate, I'm taking it solely as an elective. So, I was just wondering what colleges would think and what you'd advise me to do.
Post edited by sqdwfe13 on

Replies to: Dropping AP class in high school

• davh01davh01 Posts: 224Registered User Junior Member
    Get a tutor and see if you can improve. My opinion: a W looks better than a D, and you do not need this course to graduate. Sticking with it may consumer a lot of time and could potentially pull your other grades down, and will definately pull your gpa down.
  • sgysgy Posts: 72Registered User Junior Member
    I dropped two science APs my sophomore year... the first week of second quarter, which means I have two WPs on my transcript (unfortunately I did not know of this policy).

Though I did end up taking two semester classes the second semester and getting straight As for the year, I do overall regret dropping these two classes as I had 88s in them. I took one of them again junior year.

My opinion: I think you should try to stick it out. Regret is a horrible feeling.