Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What does "critically evaluate" mean??

mckx2mckx2 Posts: 23Registered User New Member
edited November 2004 in College Admissions
I need to write a college essay this week that asks this question: "Critically evaluate (in bold print) one important aspect of your educational experience to date. Among your options are a book, a course, an individual , or a significant experience that has influenced you in a meaningful way."
How should I approach this? What do you think they want by using the word "critically?" I'm thinking about writing about my experience of being on a State championship high school team. Thanks for any help.
Post edited by mckx2 on

Replies to: What does "critically evaluate" mean??

• bettinabettina Posts: 1,236Registered User Senior Member
    I think by saying that they mean they want an analytical paper where you show your evaluation, logic and argument skills. They are not looking so much for a story. Usually a critical evaluation of a book or a course would show positive as well as negative aspects and try to come to a conclusion. You can do the same with an individual or a sig experience. Just if you are illustrating a story, you should have just as much space devoted to analyizing it. Interesting question, what school is this?
  • mckx2mckx2 Posts: 23Registered User New Member
    Thanks Bettina, I think. :eek: It's hard to know how to proceed. So do I still use the rule of thumb of showing not telling. This essay is for a college scholarship. Thanks!!