Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What does a good recommendation letter look like?

happysunnyshinehappysunnyshine Posts: 1,202Registered User Member
edited March 2010 in College Admissions
Should a good recommendation letter be full of details or it should include other things covered on the resume even though the letter may be a little generic?
Post edited by happysunnyshine on

Replies to: What does a good recommendation letter look like?

• T26E4T26E4 Posts: 15,240Registered User Senior Member
    Print out the following and give to your targeted teachers

MIT Admissions | Info For Schools & Counselors: Writing Evaluations
  • OlymomOlymom Posts: 1,686Registered User Senior Member
    I recently read a stack of letters associated with a scholarship evaluation. The best letters are 1) from someone who knows the student well and 2) have enthusiasm throughout. The level of details varies -- some certainly helps. But I definitely think the letter from your math teacher that raves about your work ethic is a far better piece than the letter your Papa got for you from the governor (who shook your hand once last summer).

I also read letters that "dammed with faint praise." If the teacher is going on about your perfect attendance, it sounds like you may not have much personality or talent.
    Good luck!
  • happysunnyshinehappysunnyshine Posts: 1,202Registered User Member
    from someone who knows the student well
    Could you specify "knows thet student well"? Is it on a personal level or just in class? I am not used to converse with teachers after classes unless necessary but are my attitudes in class sufficient?