Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Good questions to ask on campus tour/ interview?

RBase07RBase07 Posts: 989Registered User Member
edited August 2005 in College Admissions
I've got a Swarthmore interview on Tuesday, and for the last couple of days I've been tried to get a list of helpful questions to ask at the school so that A) I will look good, like I am really interested in the school , B) I won't ask any questions that I could find in the guidebook or website, and C) will actually learn about the school and see if it fits my personality.

I am a prospective English and/or Music major, and I have a strong interest in journalism and choral groups.

Here are the questions I have so far:

-In addition to Swarthmore College, I've also been looking into Haverford and Oberlin (somewhat similar small selective LAC's). What stands out about Swarthmore from these schools (particularly Haverford)?

-What do you think is the greatest strength that Swarthmore has?

-How many music rooms are available for student practice?

-Can students receive financial aid with private music lessons (big sticking point with me)?

-How hard is it to get time on the college's computers?

-What choral groups are offered here and how selective are they?

-How often do these groups schedule performances?

-Could you tell me about your study abroad program?

-What kind of freshman orientation program is offered to students?

-I am aware that Swarthmore doesn’t offer a Communications majors, but what journalism opportunities are available to students besides the school newspaper? (btw, does anybody here know the name of their student paper?)

-Are there programs designed to help students find internships and employment on/off campus? And if so, how does a student find out about such opportunities?

-Between now and the time I send in my application, what can I do to
improve my chances for acceptance?

-Approximately how much reading is assigned every night for homework?

-On a 1-10 scale (10 being the best), how would you rate the dorms and campus food)?

Do you guys have any mo
re to suggest? I'm kinda stuck for good, relevant questions. Thank you.
Post edited by RBase07 on

Replies to: Good questions to ask on campus tour/ interview?

• RBase07RBase07 Posts: 989Registered User Member
    B U M P please..
  • kc_ladykc_lady Posts: 455Registered User Member
    I think you have a really good list of questions! They are relevant to you, and not the easy things found on the website, etc.

When I was going through the interview and touring process, everyone seemed really thrilled when I asked opinions, instead of facts. I think the poor admissions people get really sick of reciting facts.

Ask if they were going to lunch in the D. Hall, what would they choose to eat? If they were pulling an all nighter, where would they study? Ask for a unique story of something that would only happen at Swarthmore. Ask if they had to do the whole college experience over again, would it still be Swarthmore?
  • StayGoldStayGold Posts: 99Registered User Junior Member
    Your questions sound great; I think that's plenty to make you seem interested in the school. I went on a Swarthmore tour recently, and just to answer one of the questions you have, I was told the school will pay for private music lessons. I don't remember all the details, though, so that would be a good thing to ask about. Good luck!