Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

I don't understand. My GPA won't go up?

Cheshire CatCheshire Cat Posts: 351Registered User Member
edited September 2010 in College Admissions
I currently have a 2.85 GPA. I have 24 credits earned, and 68.5 grade points earned. I'm taking 3 classes this semester and am trying to get straight B's. But I calculated what my GPA will be if I get B's, and my GPA will stay the same! I'll only have a 2.89 GPA.
I don't understand. I would think getting B's would bring up your GPA, not keep it the same.
Is this correct? I'm really confused.
Post edited by Cheshire Cat on

Replies to: I don't understand. My GPA won't go up?

• highschoolruleshighschoolrules Posts: 142Registered User Junior Member
    depends what you're average is. it's pretty hard for 3 classes to raise your gpa, if the starting point is even relatively decent (as 2.85 is) if you get straight b's. especially if you're deep into your highschool career
  • fauvefauve Posts: 3,146Registered User Senior Member
    GPAs are difficult to raise from 2.85, unless you have many A's. Since B's are only 3.0s, they do not have the push that 4.0s (A's) do.
  • Cheshire CatCheshire Cat Posts: 351Registered User Member
    So the only way I will be able to raise my GPA is to get only A's? And I'm in college.
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 Posts: 4,105Registered User Senior Member
    The more credits you have, the less effect one more course has on your gpa, so the harder it becomes to raise your gpa.

For example, suppose you had 100 credits and a gpa of 2.85, which would mean you had 285 quality points earned. If you took three more 3 credit courses and got B's and 9 quality points, you would have 294/103 = 2.854 gpa. Even if you got 3 A's, you would have 297/103 = 2.883 gpa.