Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

In what way is a Mac better than a PC?

ChronologyChronology Posts: 62Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2013 in College Computers
After browsing college confidential for a few weeks now, I realized that the majority of people recommend buying a Mac instead of a PC. They claim that the Mac is better for "creative" tasks. I decided to look up multiple Mac vs PC software benchmarks, and I came to the conclusion that "creative" software (Software from Autodesk, Adobe, and Microsoft; and various video games) always performs better on the PC(same/similar specs on both computers), and the PC generally costs $400 less. In what way is a Mac better than a similarly priced PC if it obviously fails in performance?
Post edited by Chronology on

Replies to: In what way is a Mac better than a PC?

• fizix2fizix2 Posts: 3,570Registered User Senior Member
    It's a nicer environment for programming, if you are into that sort of stuff. It comes with a Unix shell and software like python and vi is already installed. I really like my Mac because I can do almost everything that I can on Linux, without most of the hassle. That being said, it is pretty easy to make a PC just as nice if you install the right software.
  • PsychoDad10PsychoDad10 Posts: 1,187Registered User Senior Member
    Our experience is that Macs never slow down and don't get affected by viruses. My oldest son swears to never buy a PC again. We have saved a lot of money by not buying antivirus software for the Mac.
  • ChronologyChronology Posts: 62Registered User Junior Member
    The Mac OS is a locked down version of Unix. You do not have total freedom. Also, nicer doesn't mean better. Visual Studio 2012 is better than any similar software on the Mac such as Xcode.

PsychoDad10: Apple's Mac OS X is less secure than Windows. http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/analysis/1590073/apple-mac-os-x-secure-windows
    My antivirus is common sense.
  • Vot123Vot123 Posts: 277Registered User Junior Member
    Don't know about Windows 8 machines, but having used both PCs and Macs over the years, the Mac OS seems more intuitive to use and has a shallower learning curve. Also being in the Mac universe makes it easier to coordinate and share content on iPads, iPods and iPhones with iTunes apps if you already own some of those devices. Plus, even though there are Mac viruses and Trojans out there they aren't nearly as ubiquitous as in the PC world.
    Just because you cant figure out one operating system doesn't make it inferior. For example, Linux. The only reason why there isn't as many viruses for the Mac is because less people use it.
    @Chronology: I never said that Windows or Linux operating systems were "inferior" but I did say that the older Windows systems were not as intuitive as contemporaneous Mac ones. Maybe Windows 8 will change things. And I'm glad that there aren't as many viruses for Macs even if it's only because fewer people use them.
    In what way is a Mac more intuitive than a PC? Sounds more like an opinion than a fact to me.
  • absurdwombatabsurdwombat Posts: 83Registered User Junior Member
    I have found I have not had to spend nearly as much time (basically none) trying to fix my Mac. My PC, on the other hand, has taken me weeks to fix for some issues! And we're talking when I boot it there was a blue screen error-- and this was just with a Windows 7 upgrade a couple years ago.

When people talk about the "software running better," yes, it does. That's because it's a more stable OS and so you don't have crashes as frequently.

As for more intuitive, I wouldn't necessarily say that, but if you know your way around a PC well, you'll be speedy on a Mac.

I would go with Mac because their computers will last for years! And that's not an exaggeration. I have a 2007 iMac and MacBook and both are just as fast as they were new. They will last and you really won't have to waste time trying to fix them.
    ^^so true at least as far as our personal experience goes. Over the years, our household has gone through 4 heavily used PC laptops, 2 Mac desktops and 3 Mac laptops. All the older Macs still work and were taken out of general usage because they became obsolete in terms of memory, processor speed, disk space, etc. The PCs were replaced because they literally died after 2-3 years. The only PC still working is the one that was bought this year.
    1. I can say the same about my experience with PCs. The most time I spent fixing a problem on a PC was one hour. I find the problem in 5-20 mins, if its a hardware problem I replace the broken part quickly, if its a software problem I find a solution on google 90% of the time. However, repairing a software/hardware problem is much harder on a Mac because of the poor documentation and incompatible hardware. Once I had to find a special server motherboard for a Mac. The apple website gave me nothing, so I had to search obscure websites until I found the motherboard I was looking for. In the end it cost me $700 for a "refurbished" motherboard, while I found a similar new PC motherboard for $250. Basically, if your Mac hardware breaks, you will have a hard time finding the problem and fixing it.

2. The BSOD does not occur by itself, it occurs because of the software running on the computer. You cant blame Microsoft for running faulty/incompatible software.

3. Benchmarks prove that software runs better on a PC.

4. All computers that I have owned have lasted for at least 2 years. A computers lifetime depends on the user. However, I agree that the Mac requires less maintenance. So far, this is the first benefit of the Mac.

Vot123: Most Mac hardware comes from Foxconn, one of the worst hardware manufactures. The only reason why it lasts longer is because of Apple's higher quality control standards. Most PC hardware also uses Foxconn components, but since there is a higher demand for PCs, more faulty hardware slips through. However, building your own PC allows you to choose what you put inside of your computer and results in the same, if not longer lifetime compared to a Mac.
  • fizix2fizix2 Posts: 3,570Registered User Senior Member
    Well, seems like you've already made up your mind. Why did you post this thread again?
    I'm trying to understand how a Mac is better than a PC. With all of the Mac users on this forum I should be able to get a few valid arguments in no time.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Posts: 10,933Registered User Senior Member
    Average kid doesn't use much more than wp and picture storage, surfing, social media, music, video, low level games and maybe skype. If I've missed something, you still get the point. All that doesn't need a Mac. Otoh, I'd never step between an engineering or design student and his/her Mac. The power and the co-processing.

But really, it's personal pref. Either can be a lemon, out of the gate. D1 had the screen crack and the graphics card went, both in the first 4 mo with the Mac. D2 had zero issues with the Dell- except periodic overheating, til I clued her in to not using it on her comforter, blocking airflow.
    For the same price as a Mac you can build/buy a much more powerful PC. I also mentioned that autodesk software (and other design, and engineering software) performs better on PC. Why buy a more expensive Mac when you can get the same, if not better performance PC for hundreds of dollars less?

+1 to my previous statement: A computers lifetime depends on the user.
  • sumzupsumzup Posts: 799Registered User Member
    There are several good reasons to get a Mac.

1. Apple makes fantastic hardware. Build quality, battery life, aesthetics, and form factor (among other things) are top notch. On laptops, the trackpad is especially good (it's very accurate, usable, and gesture support is great, especially with apps like jitouch). I have yet to use a non-Apple trackpad that can match the experience. This alone rules out a lot of competing laptops for me.

2. OS X. This sort of comes down to personal preference. The way you interact with your computer is different with OS X, and some people like that over Windows.

3. Unix heritage. Your response to the other guy was that OS X is locked down. This is patently untrue. iOS is locked down, but that's not OS X. Anyways, if you like the *nix tool chain, Windows just doesn't cut it. Yes, Linux is an option, but no one is stopping you from using it on a Mac or a PC. And true, Visual Studio is good, but lots of people like Xcode as well (plus you can develop for iOS with it).

4. If you're in the Apple ecosystem, everything just works fantastically well together. Hardware and software is seamlessly integrated, and Apple devices play nicely with each other and the cloud.

5. Macs maintain higher resale value, for whatever reason. Combined with a student discount, the total cost of ownership of a Mac isn't outrageously more than for a PC.

There's probably more I could go into, but I think I've hit on some of the more important reasons why getting a Mac could make sense. Macs aren't the best for a lot of use cases, especially if you're on a budget. But there are a good number of use cases where Macs could be an equally good or better option to a PC.