Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Microsoft Surface Pro for college?

StarspyStarspy Posts: 9Registered User New Member
I am enrolling in Lehigh university this year for Mechanical Engineering. I already have a laptop that I am 100% sure will be able to run MatLab/AutoCAD software well (560m gfx card, 12gb RAM, 1TB storage) but it is heavy as hell. I plan to bring this and my external 27 inch monitor to school with me (monitor can also be used as TV) and leave them in my dorm.

I was looking into other options for something that I would be able to carry around campus and use as a portable machine. This would not be for any resource-heavy applications, just general web browsing and note taking.

I asked a few guys in IT what they think would fit this bill and they suggested the Microsoft Surface Pro. It runs for about $1200, which is about the price of a Macbook Air that is my other option.

So, does anyone know someone that uses a Microsoft surface for general computing needs in college? Is it worth the price, or would I be better off going for a Macbook Air for my freshman year.

Thanks! Ask any questions if needed.