Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

When is the best time to get a laptop

nikon50bigmanikon50bigma Posts: 204User Awaiting Email Confirmation Junior Member
edited November 2008 in College Computers
Hey,
I'm looking to get a laptop preferably <800 or around there.
When do you think the best time to buy a laptop would be?
1. Over the summer before school?
2. Black Friday
3. After X-mas?

Anyone know of any good deals as of now?
What are some typical specs that I should looking for as a first time college laptop user?
Post edited by nikon50bigma on

Replies to: When is the best time to get a laptop

• jaimeastorga2000jaimeastorga2000 Posts: 759Registered User Member
    Either right before school (to take advantage of back-to-school deals) or sometime between Black Friday and Christmas are probably best.

As for stats... I need to know a few things. What Operating System do you prefer? Windows XP, Windows Vista, Mac OS X, a linux distro (probably not, because I doubt you would be asking for specs in this case), etc...?

Second, what do you plan to do with it? Only web browsing, typing papers, listening to music .mp3's and watching DVD movies? These are all extremely basic capacities which virtually every computer today will meet, so if you only want to do this, you should aim for the cheapest laptop possible. You should only care about more power if you plan to do something more taxing. For example, run modeling software (for architecture or civil engineering, etc...), heavy video editing, etc...
  • SBRSBR Posts: 2,777Registered User Senior Member
    IMHO, there are two approaches:

1). Get the cheapest possible laptop that will meet your basic needs, regardless of specs. Then I'd say between black friday and christmas would probably be your best bet

2). Get the best laptop possible for a set budget ($800 max for instance), then I would wait until back to school as hardware can change dramatically in 10 months.
  • nysmilenysmile Posts: 5,848Registered User Senior Member
    For Lenovo--you can use this code now for an additional discount above their current promo on ThinkPads.

USPBLACKFRIDAY

I was going to replace son's old laptop with a new Thinkpad T400. After weeks of researching, I had finally narrowed the choices down to this. Son came home today for the Thanksgiving break and I asked him if he wanted/needed a replacement for his current laptop (a three year old Dell with XP and single core Intel processor). He said that the old workhorse is still working great so he doesn't see a need to replace it right now.

For all those out there looking for laptops, check out Lenovo Thinkpad T400 with their current holiday promo plus the additional discount code above. I guess we'll hold off until his laptop shows signs of impending doom.
  • nikon50bigmanikon50bigma Posts: 204User Awaiting Email Confirmation Junior Member
    Anyone see any good deals out there for macs or HP's?
  • FCYTravis99FCYTravis99 Posts: 291Registered User Junior Member
    You just missed Apple's Black Friday sale on their MacBooks, but it wasn't that great of a deal - just a hundred bucks off or so.

It's generally difficult to get "deals" on Macs, given that Apple doesn't do much discounting. The best deals out there are going to be on used, refurbed or superseded equipment. I've seen some super-discounted, dirt-cheap brand-new white plastic MacBooks and last-generation aluminum MacBook Pros from backstock that stores are trying to unload. Plus, as people upgrade around the holidays there's going to be used equipment on the market... I'm trying to sell my 15" MacBook Pro right now.

If you don't mind not having the latest-and-greatest, those are going to be the best deals on Apple equipment.