Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Help me choose a laptop!

WordSpinnerWordSpinner Posts: 54Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2009 in College Computers
I know I want a laptop for college, and I don't quite know which I want to get. I'm a long time PC user, but I'm thinking of getting a Mac. With both, I plan to wait until the new OS's are out--no way am I getting Vista. Here's what I use my laptop for:

Writing: I write fiction for fun, and some of my writing gets big. I've been using yWriter 5 on my PC, and if I were to get a Mac, I'd switch to Scrivener, which costs $35 but has features that I consider worth the price (yWriter's free, I haven't had any issues, and I recommend it to anyone who writes long pieces on a PC, but it lacks some features I want that Scrivener has)

Internet Surfing: I tend to multitask with my internet surfing, having lots of tabs plus my writing and music in the background, and so I want a computer that can multitask.

I don't really play games, but I'll want to watch movies/you-tube videos, etc.

I really, really want a laptop that will last and won't give me much trouble--I'm not really a computer person. I also want a laptop between 13 and 15 inches, and the lighter the better. My planned major is in biology, which can be math-heavy, and I want a laptop with the kind of power/OS that will work for the kinds of biology-specific programs I'm likely to need.

All my colleges are platform-agnostic, but I'll probably be going to Pomona.

I don't want to pay more than 1,500 for a good setup. Is the macbook (the upper level, with the lighted keyboard) worth it? What are some good, reliable PC choices? What are the minimum specs I should look for?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Post edited by WordSpinner on

Replies to: Help me choose a laptop!

• Liz LemonLiz Lemon Posts: 81Registered User Junior Member
    I'd absolutely recommend the MacBook. I've had one for two years and love it. It's a pleasure to use, and I've never had any software issues or viruses; that said, I'd recommend investing in the extended warranty, because it can be prone to hardware problems (if you have the warranty, all repairs are free).

Of course, if a crucially important program for your major is only available for PC, it probably makes more sense to get one of those. I don't know enough about biology-specific software to say, though.
  • OperaDadOperaDad Posts: 2,467Registered User Senior Member
    Decide on your college first. See what recomended configurations they have, and student specials. Then post again with a reduced set of choices.

I like recommended configurations because the school's IT people can help you with it. BTW: Get at least 2 GB of main memory.

For your uses, a basic computer with a decent graphics card will do just fine. Shouldn't have to break $1,000 if you buy a PC. I have no idea about MAC's.