Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Battery - 4 or 6 cell

seremarcusseremarcus Posts: 49Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2009 in College Computers
I am building a Lenovo Thinkpad T series. Do I want a 4 or 6 cell Battery?

Thanks!
Elaine
Post edited by seremarcus on

Replies to: Battery - 4 or 6 cell

• skybax22skybax22 Posts: 344Registered User Junior Member
    6 cell will give you longer battery life with the tradeoff of a little more weight.
  • 2wentyEight2wentyEight Posts: 76Registered User New Member
    Definitely a 6 cell. Giving up a pound or two doesn't really matter -your notebook will still be fairly light.
  • aforautumnaforautumn Posts: 1,381Registered User Senior Member
    +1 for 6
    not 9, it adds a weird hump on the bottom usually.
  • ModernChemModernChem Posts: 368Registered User Member
    I got a 9 cell on my t400, since the differrence between 6 and 9 is not too much:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3232/2774790879_83011a1d6a.jpg

but definitely at least get a 6 cell
  • ab2013ab2013 Posts: 1,754Registered User Senior Member
    6 cell for sure ... for most manufacturers this is maybe a $30 or $40 upgrade at max, and is well worth it. The 4 cell will (1) not last long enough and (2) will die out faster (aka lose charge capacity) because you'll need to charge it up more often. After all, a new battery does cost $100-$150, so I think you should shell out the money for the upgrade.

^About the weird hump: I've heard that it does help cool the notebook if it elevates it at an angle, like HP's 12 cell batteries. But yea the way Lenovo designed it just doesn't look too appealing.
  • GiveMeLibertyGiveMeLiberty Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
    Man up and get the 9-cell.
  • andylawsandylaws Posts: 237Registered User Junior Member
    Agreed, go with the 9 cell. It might cost a fortune but it is the best investment you could probably make in your laptop in regards to non "performance" related accessories.
  • jubilantjubilant Posts: 549Registered User Member
    I have a 9 cell but it hasnt mattered much at all since i'm usually plugged in. 6 cell should be all you need, though
  • DelfinoMDelfinoM Posts: 161Registered User Junior Member
    The 9 cell looks like a t400 6 cell on a T500 and the 6 cell is flush with it, on a T400 it looks odd because its slanted up and both 6 and 9 stick out.