Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to disable laptop's f1-f12?

BluemeraldBluemerald Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2010 in College Computers
When I'm playing games, f1-f12 retains their windows 7 laptop functions like contrast and volume, for instance. How do I disable them to their normal functions?

I've already tried using 'F2' on startup to system configuration > function key behavior first---- my laptop starts up but the 'F2' brings me to System Check(?) instead, not system configuration.

Any help appreciated!

Laptop Pavilion dv6
Post edited by Bluemerald on

Replies to: How to disable laptop's f1-f12?

• tr1p7str1p7s Posts: 664Registered User Member
    I assume you have an HP dv6. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can press f1-12 to actions such as increase/decrease volume/brightness, bring up certain tasks etc.

These are known as "action keys."

If you want to disable them, go into BIOs (spam esc, f2 or f12 at power-on) and you can disable them there.
  • detailmoredetailmore Posts: 95Registered User Junior Member
    Yeah I think HP's BIOS has 2 views. On has the tests (Hard disk test, memory test) and some other key (F12 maybe) lets you access more options (time, boot order, etc)
  • r31ncarnat3dr31ncarnat3d Posts: 452Registered User Member
    If you want to disable them, go into BIOs (spam esc, f2 or f12 at power-on) and you can disable them there.

What settings would it be under BIOS? For Asus laptops, the action keys are a software function rather than BIOS, so I'm a bit surprised it isn't the same thing for HP as well.
  • tr1p7str1p7s Posts: 664Registered User Member
    What settings would it be under BIOS? For Asus laptops, the action keys are a software function rather than BIOS, so I'm a bit surprised it isn't the same thing for HP as well.
    In the BIOs, there's an option that says "action keys" with the option to disable it. It comes enabled stocked. When you disable it, you use fn+f1-12 to raise/lower volume and brightness.

I forget under which tab it falls under since I had to exchange my HP laptop. However, it will be here on Thursday =)