Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

can you become addicted to water

thefootscrubberthefootscrubber Posts: 161Registered User Junior Member
edited February 2006 in College Confidential Cafe
yah well that's bout it!? I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this. Is it possoble? Am i the only one who drinks A LOT of water??? (and no I'm NOT diabetic and NO I don't drink a lot of coke or any thing else .. mainly H2O and milk .. yah I know .. NOT normal)
Post edited by thefootscrubber on

Replies to: can you become addicted to water

• fudgemasterfudgemaster Posts: 836Registered User Member
    Soft drinks have water. Fruit Juices have water. Practically every drink has water in it.
  • cheesydishcheesydish Posts: 311Registered User Junior Member
    omg i'm just like you. i drink like 8 glasses of water each afternoon, and the only other liquid i have is milk (the occasional soda at a party of course). i dont think you can get addicted but i suppose your body could experience withdrawal through dehydration? i dont know though...
  • fudgemasterfudgemaster Posts: 836Registered User Member
    Don't drink too much water because it can kill you.
  • rahulnirmal2000rahulnirmal2000 Posts: 238Registered User Junior Member
    Balance that excess water with salt.
  • cherrybarrycherrybarry Posts: 918Registered User Member
    I drink mainly water. In regards to salt, drinking water will usually make me crave for something salty. Which in case makes me wanna drink more water, and then eat more salty foods, which explains why i've gained 10 lbs the past two weeks.
    ouch....

lol you have to drink like 2 gallons of water without peeing to die of hypernaturia... i figure if i'm addicted to water its a lot better than my addiction to chocolate, or chips, or food in general
  • gsp_silicon_valleygsp_silicon_valley Posts: 1,542Registered User Senior Member
    Yes, it is possible to be addicted to water. Bottled spring water (for me) simply tastes good and I can never get enough. Drinking one gallon+ a day is not uncommon for me.

Articles on the net...

Are you drinking too much water?
    http://www.ivillage.co.uk/health/hlive/eat/articles/0,,181168_588681,00.html

Too Much of a Good Thing Can Kill You
    http://www.mercola.com/2002/jul/20/water.htm

Glug! You may be drinking too much … water
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6929115

Drinking too much water could be dangerous, doctors say
    http://www.uswaternews.com/archives/arcsupply/5drintoox7.html
  • corrangedcorranged Posts: 6,684Registered User Senior Member
    You can become psychologically addicted to anything. You can only become physically addictive to something like smoking or heroin that actually has something in it that's physically addictive.

Drinking water is good and healthy. As long as you are not drinking an inordinate amount (which I doubt you are), you'll be fine. If you were drinking insane amounts, you'd just need to make sure you have enough salt in your diet and everything.

Don't worry about it.
  • rahulnirmal2000rahulnirmal2000 Posts: 238Registered User Junior Member
    Gaining 10 pounds in two weeks eh? Yikes....
  • UB-Vinny77UB-Vinny77 Posts: 678- Member
    i drink about 2 gallons a day.
  • EffulgentEffulgent Posts: 1,099Registered User Member
    I love water. I drink water all the time.

The only other drink that I drink regularly is Diet Coke. That, I'm addicted to.

When I can get it, I'm also addicted to thai milk tea, but it's too high-calorie. (I think any drink with more than 5 calories per cup is too high in calories.)
  • kchenkchen Posts: 4,236Registered User Senior Member
    I drink a lot of water every day because I don't drink anything else (besides milk, which I don't particularly like). I only drink milk for breakfast, or as a supplement to baked goods. I'm sort of carbon intolerant for some odd reason. When I drink a can of soda, it often finds a way up the esophagus and out of the mouth. I can't control it. So I have decided not to drink soda unless that is the only option.
    sigh this post makes me thirsty....

i have a giant mug (when i say giant we're talking 64 oz) that i carrry around sometimes over the summer. its so helpful to stay hydrated. and when you bored, its fab for doing some curls or whatnot....
  • FFX1619FFX1619 Posts: 104Registered User Junior Member
    unless you drink liquid mercury... almost every drink has water in it.
  • zpmqxonwzpmqxonw Posts: 1,052Registered User Member
    I drank 50.7 ounces in like under 10 minutes, I felt so sick after... I'm sure it's possible to get addicted to water but I've never heard of anybody getting addicted. It's probably one of the best things you can do for your body.

I got addicted to diet coke a while ago. I eventually quit (4 days of massive headaches) but it was worth it. Unfortunately, I started drinking it again:(