Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Course Requirement Changes

esedwardsesedwards Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
My school is changing the criteria for what classes count for my degree program.
The results of this have now made a class I just finished redundant with another one I took years ago.
This means I paid for and spent the time on a class I did not need or want.

This seems incredibly unfair and I was wondering what could I possibly do about this.
Has anyone every received a refund? What can/should I do?

Replies to: Course Requirement Changes

• romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 32,172 Senior Member
    You can probably be grandfathered in using the old plan.

Both of my majors changed requirements while I was there and we had the option of completing either the original or new requirements.
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 17,585 Senior Member
    Agree with the above. Before you get upset, read the fine print and speak to your academic advisor. It is likely that as a currently enrolled student that t you are grandfathered under the old criteria.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 32,172 Senior Member
    Oh, but to your other question, your chances of getting any sort of refund are basically 0.
  • guineagirl96guineagirl96 Registered User Posts: 3,590 Senior Member
    Usually, but not always, you get grandfathered in, with the option to follow the new path if you choose, as others have stated above. This happened at my university with both the music majors and minors, for example, and we were allowed to still follow the old path.