Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Worried about dropping a course

MrFoster46MrFoster46 Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
Hi y,all!

I'm a student at St Edward's University in Austin, Texas. I would have posted this in our own sub forum, but I think we're too small to have one lol.

On to my question. I took 18 hours this semester, which I now realize was a mistake. Accounting is my hardest class this semester, and it runs until 6:15 P.M. I want to drop for two reasons, 1.) Because I'm doing very poorly in it, and 2.) I desperately need time to work and make money. I have a single parent and am paying for all of my expenses on my own, except health insurance because I have a rare disease.

My concern is that I want to go to grad school. Ideally I want to attend law school, but I realize for man people, possibly myself included, that dream never comes to fruition. Will having a W on my transcript severely impact my chances? I do not plan to have more than one W, and have never dropped a course before. This was a mistake on my part that I am doing my best to learn from it.

I was rejected from my dream university almost in February of 2016. I remember what that felt like, and I'm doing my best not to put myself through that experience again.

Thank you :)

Replies to: Worried about dropping a course

• zannahzannah Registered User Posts: 507 Member
    If all else is good, a W should not be a big deal and better than sticking with your current schedule and earning lower grades. Besides, 18 hours in freshman year is simply too much. Persona!!y, I would drop the class and get on with my life.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 2,319 Senior Member
    I agree with @zannah. 18 hours is too much. Dropping from 18 to 15 hours is going to make it look like 18 hours is too much for a single parent who also has a job, or perhaps that a college student decided to adjust her course load a little bit. This is not going to be a surprise to anyone.
  • bopperbopper Registered User Posts: 7,767 Senior Member
    Withdraw away! Withdrawing from one class will have no impact. Having a pattern of withdrawing will.
  • happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 17,511 Senior Member
    Agree with the above. One W on the transcript won't be an issue but a series of them would be. FWIW my S had one W in college and got into a top grad program in his field -- nobody at the grad school even asked him about the one W.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 2,319 Senior Member
    @happy1's post reminded me that I had an incomplete in undergrad, but still got into a top grad program in my field. Perhaps an "I" in the 1970's was the equivalent of a "W" today. I don't think that there is any problem at all with one W on a transcript.
  • MrFoster46MrFoster46 Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    I appreciate your advice everyone :) I'll look into dropping it this week. Your posts have been very assuring, thank you all.