Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

freshmen orientation

hksanghahksangha Posts: 228Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2006 in College Confidential Cafe
im giving this following address tomorrow to incoming freshmen

The Class of 2010...welcome to West Valley! Both you and I realize that its currently the Fall of 2006 and just the moment what you’ve been waiting for –your first year of high school! I am willing to bet any of you guys that you used most of your summer, if not all of it, just thinking about who you’re going to hang out with, the clothes you’re going to wear, and finally about the new guys and girls. And, I realize that the prospect of all of this is pretty daunting and my task today is to alleviate some of the “scariness.” With that in mind, I want to briefly share personal story. So, when I personally walked into high school three years ago, I was determined to get the highest GPA in the history of Valley, have a perfect SAT score among other perfect things, because all I wanted to do then was go to Harvard. Harvard was basically everything, or least I thought back then. I realize three years later, how silly of an ambition that was. By all means, don’t get me wrong, your transcript is important and is going to be a crucial factor in where you end up being admitted for college – therefore you should keep your grades up, take your education seriously, and value the experience. But, don’t get to the point – where every quiz grade becomes important and classes absorb so much of your time that you don’t have any left for your own self. I realize I sound hypocritical because to be honest with you, I did that for a lot of the last three years, and once I realized how foolish I was, I wanted to hit my self with a two-by-four now – but it was too late. Because I was too suck on going to Harvard, I failed to take complete advantages of opportunities that were available to me. For example, I’ve never played at a sport in West Valley nor have I committed extensive time to a club or another worthwhile activity. I think the best tool that gave me a reality check was asking my self a serious of question. Whenever you find yourself lost, put it in perspective and ask your self – Will it really matter a week from now? A month? A year? 10 Years? And, I asked my self the same questions when I was thinking about colleges this summer, I realized, honestly, having a degree from Harvard wasn’t going to mean anything too special to me. Unfortunately, it’s a bit too late for me to take my own advice but I advise you guys as you pick your courses for this year and for other years, don’t be too conventional in your thinking or too timid to follow your own creativity. I advise you to not give up any educational opportunity for the sole purpose of a grade point average or class rank. Don’t think you have to take all of the AP classes in the world. And, please don’t make a rat race out of class ranks. Trust me, there are way more important things in high school and in life in general.
Another thing I want to make it pretty clear to you guys that your next four years here at West Valley aren’t about appearances and relationships. You’ll be one member of a very big wolfpack and the experience is going to be what you make of it. Let me restate that, your experience at West Valley will be what you make of it. You need to choose your friends and activities wisely, and remember that whatever you do, do it for yourself. There is going to be peer pressure wherever you turn and sadly, it is inevitable that somewhere along the way there are going to be instances where people are going to ask you to drink or do pot, and I know such occasions are severely high-pressure situations, but if you chose your friends carefully, they will respect your choices. These are going to be the same friends that are not going to judge you by the way you dress or how popular you are, instead they’re going to admire you for your personality and character. I know you’re afraid of being looked down upon for not conforming, but trust me you’ll realize when you’re ready – it’s most likely going to be at a different time and place than your friends. Seriously, there is no problem with that, just don’t let anyone else push you around, especially the seniors. You know your best anti-drug or anti-other things that you don’t feel are right during high school are going to be clubs, organizations, sports and challenging classes. Get involved, there are nearly 40 various clubs, activities, and sports at West Valley alone for you to be involved in. Clubs like Academic Decathlon, Amnesty International, Key Club, International Club, Earth Club, Student Council – and I am just naming a few are going to not only help you expand your interests and beef up your college applications later – but they’re going help you meet new people and grow as a person. By being active within your high school and your community, you are going to become an independent, self-sufficient, and a confident person ..and these skills that you acquire are not only going to help you succeed throughout high school but also the rest of your life.
So one of the things that I do in my spare time is surf the internet. Couple years ago, I came across a commencement address at Stanford University given by Steve Jobs, who is the CEO of Apple Computers. And, in his commencement address he was talking about a publication called The Whole Earth Catalog - basically it was the precursor to Google. Anyway, in his commencement address, Steve Jobs talks about the final issue of this publication and he mentions that on the back cover of the final issue was a photograph of an early morning country road, the kind you might find yourself hitchhiking on if you were so adventurous. Beneath it were the words: "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish." It was the publication’s farewell message as they signed off. Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish. After reading his commencement address, I have always wished for myself to live by those great words of wisdom. And so in that spirit, I pass it on to you as begin your freshmen year of high school.
Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

Thank you very much

please tell me ur opinions, all advice/suggestions ..are appreciated
Post edited by hksangha on

Replies to: freshmen orientation

• I AM SPONEDI AM SPONED Posts: 221Registered User Junior Member
    That definitely won't appeal to all the freshmen, but it's pretty good.
  • ChaosTheoryChaosTheory Posts: 5,200- Senior Member
    The nerds will worship you :D
    Yeah that's what I meant. The kids who want to succeed as much as you did will relate, but everyone else will look at you and just think that you're one giant nerd.

And not everyone thinks that much about high school during the summer.
  • futureiceskaterfutureiceskater Posts: 135Registered User Junior Member
    ha.

i don't think to many people study all day long and don't do any sports

i mean honestly i consider myself sorta of a nerd. grades, rank, gpa, etc are like almost the world to me

yet i'm in a billion afterschool activites, i iceskate (as you can tell..) and i always ahve spare time to go online and chat...
  • aviatrix10aviatrix10 Posts: 337Registered User Member
    yeah, the nerds will think that you're the greatest person on earth (either that, or they'll think that you're crazy for deciding that wanting to go to Harvard was silly). However, the "cool" kids will laugh at you. I don't know, you might want to make it a little less....nerdy........

I thought it was good, though.
  • hksanghahksangha Posts: 228Registered User Junior Member
    ohhh too freakin late now..lol
    How'd it go?