Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

The War on Terror will never end.

black mambablack mamba Posts: 27- New Member
edited August 2006 in College Confidential Cafe
There is no way to end terrorism. Its impossible. I dont want to go into a long winded post explaining all of it. But simply put, terrorism is the spawn of hateful/extreme thoughts/viewpoints/teachings.

These thoughts lead to actions. To prevent terrorism, we would need to prevent any hateful thoughts. To simply speak out against a terrorist, to dislike him, is a hateful thought. To bomb cities in Afghanistan after a select group of terrorists attack, is in it of it self terrorism.

Its a cycle, and it will never end.

The government is very deft about terrorism. They have created a war which will never end. They use this war to gain public support everytime it dips when they do....pretty much anything. It went from Al-Quida to Iraq to the Sunni Insurgents to Hezbullah. Palestinian terrorists are of course mixed in for good measure. The war on terror never kills an enemy without breeding a new one.

Our lives will never be terror free, and we must accept that. We cannot ruin all we stand for to prevent inevitable attacks ( ie-racial profiling, wire tapping, etc.)

Had to vent, would love to hear what you all have to say
Post edited by black mamba on

Replies to: The War on Terror will never end.

• stuck-on-1700stuck-on-1700 Posts: 6,065Registered User Senior Member
    I'll just say this:
    the war is not being delt with well. Violence will escalate if people don't find a different approach. And I disagree with you on one thing: The war will end. I give it 50 to 60 years. It can't last longer than that.
  • Fides et RatioFides et Ratio Posts: 902Registered User Member
    It may be officially called the "War on Terror," but it really isn't. This is a war on radical Islam/Islamofascism -- the US and her allies just don't want to come out and say it because of political correctness, but the fact remains.

I believe it can be beaten, and the way to do it -- without pussying out and caving in to the demands of Islamic terror groups and Islamic terror-friendly nations -- is to plant and spread democracy in the Middle East. The simple logic behind this is that democratic nations don't fight each other and generally aren't breeding grounds for organized terror.

This is what we are doing in Iraq: planting a seed, right smack in the heart of the Middle East. Hopefully that seed will grow and spread. The reason why the insurgents in Iraq are fighting so hard against this is because they know the power of democracy and how it can transform nations and regions very quickly.
  • Funny28Funny28 Posts: 75Registered User New Member
    I have first hand experience when it comes to the war on terror. I am currently living in Lebanon!! Yeah!! Terrorism must indeed be beaten off teh face of the Earth but not through uncontrolled violence! What Israel did in Lebanon, though provoked, was a disaster!! It's going to take ages for this country to stand back up on it's already crippled feet!! I do however believe that terrorism will accompany man wherever and whenever he goes. It can'r be avoided. As for spreading democracy in the middle east, sure why not!?!? The people here want it!! But unfortunately, that term has become synonymous with destruction and violence to all the people here. Better treat it in a more diplomatic way.
    "As for spreading democracy in the middle east, sure why not!?!? The people here want it!! But unfortunately, that term has become synonymous with destruction and violence to all the people here. Better treat it in a more diplomatic way."

Unfortunately, the only way to install democracy in many places is through military conflict. Most non-democratic regimes in the Middle East are simply not going to give up their power without a fight.

Achieving democracy through diplomacy would be wonderful, but it just isn't realistic. They won't budge until physically shoved -- or at least seeing nations right beside them physically shoved (Iraq).
    I guess you're kind of right...but i wish innocent people didn't have to suffer in the process of all this!!
    Me too. But I think in the long run, there would be much more suffering and lives lost if the US, Israel, and their allies did nothing about the Middle East. I can imagine that this can be difficult to see when your home is getting torn to pieces at the moment, but just give it time.
  • black mambablack mamba Posts: 27- New Member
    "The reason why the insurgents in Iraq are fighting so hard against this is because they know the power of democracy and how it can transform nations and regions very quickly."

uhm........no. Thats definantly not it. You see, Iraq has always been like this. There was constatn civil war before Sadam came in. The problem is that there are two radical factions of Islam that cannont (in the people's opinions) coexist. It also doesnt help that Iran is constantly supporting the Shi'ah muslims.

If people do not want democracy, then installinga democratic govt in one of these countries will ultimatly fail.

You guys dont realize it, but the war on terror never kills an enemy without breeding a new one.

Before the Lebnon conflict, and before the insurgents attacks became so powerful, remember that they were talking about north korea and their missle aimed at pearl harbor? They want this war to continue.
  • mr_chipsetmr_chipset Posts: 1,930Registered User Senior Member
    Well, you can't really end the war on terrorism using methods of terrorists, like US does right now.
    I tend to agree with black mamba. I think the Lebanese war was just a cheap distraction!! And everybody fell for it..
    "Well, you can't really end the war on terrorism using methods of terrorists, like US does right now."

How is the US using the methods of terrorists? I don't recall any American soldiers blowing themselves up in the middle of crowds, or hijacking commercial airplanes. Please, explain.
  • mr_chipsetmr_chipset Posts: 1,930Registered User Senior Member
    Any murder of non-attacking citizens in opposing country can be restated as terrorism.
  • black mambablack mamba Posts: 27- New Member
    terrorist according to dictionary.com

-The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

political reasons,eh?

If you want to change the world, start with yourself.
    I think we all agree that terrorists suck. but you can't deal with a person with a gun by pointing a gun at him. It would only make matters worse. Diplomatic solutions are the best way to go. And I think that the war on terror is mainly about politics and all the dead civillians are unfortunate casualties of that political war.
  • Blink182Blink182 Posts: 306Registered User Junior Member
    "Any murder of non-attacking citizens in opposing country can be restated as terrorism."

EXCEPT FOR THE FACT......We are at war my ignorant friend. I do not remember the US crashing four planes into the Dome of the Rock, or any other Islamic building. What we have in this point of history is the climax of US intervention in the Middle East (and NO, this didnt start 5 years ago, try 40). The original poster is right, terror will never end. Whether by greed, jealosy, intolerence, or hate built on propoganda, terror will never end.

Yet, there seems to be some feelings in this thread that we, the US, are "doing it all wrong." There is no doing anything wrong. We are in the Middle East now to protect ourselves, as other lines of defense have failed. Whether or not you believe the war in Iraq is justified, it does not matter. The minute we pull out of Iraq, the war is back at home. People fail to realize this; "Oh we're killing innocent people, get outa there!" AND YET, when we get hit again their feelings instantly change.

We can not fight this war a wrong or "right" way. War is war. Two nations of people fighting on a set of different beliefs. And though I would love to say that the majority of the people in the Middle East or ignorant to the subject, and believe what they are told, I can not. Too many Americans have the same, wrong ideas (read this post).

We are at war. Might it be on our part? Should we have stayed out of the Middle East in the first place? Or maybe, should we have not skipped out so fast; a little more time, money and support? It does not matter. That is done, and we are living now. What would it take to end Islamic radicalism? Money, lots of it; education, on a grand scale; EVERYONE with the same beliefs. In short, an act of God (or maybe a lack of God).
    Maybe. But war is not the answer! A war would only anger people even more, and the goal is to get people to listen to one another to solve differences. The US troops may be trying to protect it's citizens but an invasion was not the answer. The Iraq war only made people angry and it hasn't sloved anything.