Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What's the hardest/ most prestigious university in the world?

bannana_girlbannana_girl Posts: 1,093Registered User Member
Which university requires their students to study 24/7, has a very rigorous curriculum, etc.?
Post edited by bannana_girl on

Replies to: What's the hardest/ most prestigious university in the world?

• hemingwayisdeadhemingwayisdead Posts: 626Registered User Member
    Oxbridge are the most prestigious (don't know who wins). There's no gen ed curriculum across the pond, so I don't know how you'd weigh difficulty. :)
  • foolonthehill161foolonthehill161 Posts: 744Registered User Member
    I've heard that people who go to IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) view Harvard/Cambridge as their safeties...
  • shravasshravas Posts: 2,032Registered User Senior Member
    They had a story on 60 minutes about IIT, and said some guy who applied didn't make it, and settled for Cornell, making a big deal about how an IIT hopeful and an Ivy League school as his safety.

Except that doesn't really make any sense. If you got into Yale, but not Princeton, you wouldn't say that Yale was your safety school, would you?

Yea.
  • roamorseroamorse Posts: 843Registered User Member
    the rigor of the curriculum and the difficulty of the work of a school doesn't necessarily correlate with its prestige. actually, far from it.

off the top of my head, swarthmore, uchicago, reed, and st. johns college (md, nm) are a couple of the most intellectual colleges in the nation. there is major grade deflation at swarthmore, and uchicago's curriculum is very rigorous. reed and st. johns are special cases and i won't go into them, but most of the ivy league have grade inflation (except for cornell).
  • Ilovesoftball44Ilovesoftball44 Posts: 1,497Registered User Senior Member
    When it comes to Harvard vs. Yale, I think many Harvard students viewed Yale as a safety. When I went to a Harvard vs. Yale Football game the Harvard fans were yelling safety school lol. Ivy League School a safety = crazy.
  • TruthfuLieTruthfuLie Posts: 362Registered User Member
    Indian Institute of Technology is definitely the most prestigious university. My dad has a PhD from there, and he says that his colleagues who were in America applied but were denied admission...so they settled for Harvard and some others...

The competition is so intense over there (India) that they have specific IIT "prep schools." You enter them 2 years before you will be applying to IIT, and class starts at 4 AM everyday until 8 AM. Then of course you go to your normal college/high school... And if you are late to the academy, even at 4:01 AM, they lock the doors on you. It's very strict discipline that they employ over there. But believe or not, the 80%+ graduates from those prep schools end up getting admission to IIT.
  • kman1456kman1456 Posts: 4,045Registered User Senior Member
    Of course, shash_rao has told us that the competition is ramped up by those preparatory schools, for the actual test is not as difficult as some of the prep questions.
    Japan's University of Tokyo is also ridiculously difficult to get into.
  • ns347ns347 Posts: 933Registered User Member
    IIT is harder to get into than any university in the world, I believe I read somewhere that only 1 in 650 gets in.

While it does not have the name of Harvard or Oxford, it is extremely difficult.

so most prestigious in America is prolly Harvard, but hardest in the world is prolly IIT and still Harvard (cuz the name is so popular).
  • CITATION XCITATION X Posts: 743. Member
    w/o any doubt the Indian Institute of Technology - agree
  • demeterdemeter Posts: 1,367Registered User Senior Member
    I remember reading some Time or BusinessWeek article about ITT awhile back and how some man set up a special prep school that accepted talented people with potential from rural villages at a young age. And then they spend years just prepping for the exam or something. Wow.
  • azsxdcazsxdc Posts: 832Registered User Member
    ^ crazy...... i guess in India, the exam is EVERYTHING? eh/
  • PatrickKPatrickK Posts: 347Registered User Member
    From Wikipedia:
    "The IITs were ranked third-best worldwide for technology, after MIT and Caltech"

ITT sounds very nice, but I doubt most prestigious or most difficult. Difficulty is based on who you are, or what you do. If you are talking about the amount of work, I highly doubt anyone here can say which college gives the most work, as that depends on your courses, major(s), etc. If you are triple majoring at the Colorado School of Mines, you will obviously have much more work than someone single-majoring at Harvard.
  • kakashikakashi Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    What's up with these Indian fanboys and their IIT's. IIT definitely lacks in the prestige department. Stacked up with Ivies and other top American colleges, IIT lacks US recognition and even less global recognition (save India, ofc).

Studying 4 hours a day, on top of regular schoolwork, for preparation for a test is pretty pathetic. IIT's end up taking people who study the hardest and can master the IIT entrance exam and not necessarily the most talented. (At least it's not affected by affirmative action crap that promotes for traits and not achievements).

IIT is cool and all. They are definitely good schools, but I don't see IIT being more rigorous than serious majors at top US colleges (no econ, polisci etc. bull****).
  • md4memd4me Posts: 396Registered User Member
    Anyone else in any higher level science in high school? Then try to do some of the problems on the IIT test for admission-

http://www.mathiit.com/PDF/IIT/IIT2004M.pdf

If these problems don't indicate the rigour, I don't know what will. These problems are for HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS and I doubt that these are insanely hard even for college people.
    Enjoy!
  • NoFXNoFX Posts: 3,784Registered User Senior Member
    When I first read the title, I KNEW that this thread was gonna be filled with IIT fans - all filled in with how HYP is NOTHING compared to it, and all that jazz.

And the link. I knew there would be a link. With math problems. And the person saying how difficult it is and how some noble math genius professor from harvard couldnt even solve it and how indian highschool seniors have to solve millions of these kinds of questions.

But I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with it. Indian pride. If Seoul national university was all that fancy, I'd talk about it like that as well (korean pride)!