Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

ideas for research paper on africa?

runawaywithmerunawaywithme Posts: 239Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2006 in College Confidential Cafe
Hi,
So, for my African history class, our "exam" is to write a research paper on any topic of our choice that relates to something that is going on in Africa. It can be about anything. I am struggling with what to write about since the options are endless, and I want to write about something in engaging, and fresh (not the usual topic of what's going on in Sudan). So...does anyone have any ideas for a really good research topic on Africa?
Post edited by runawaywithme on

Replies to: ideas for research paper on africa?

• snoopyiscoolsnoopyiscool Posts: 18,082Registered User Senior Member
    With Angelina Jolie and Madonna adopting from Africa, I'd say writing something about the orphan population.
  • Fides et RatioFides et Ratio Posts: 902Registered User Junior Member
    I would probably do something on the impact of modernization -- political, economic, social -- on tribal religions, or on tribal communities in general.
  • runawaywithmerunawaywithme Posts: 239Registered User Junior Member
    Wow, those are two really good ideas. Thanks....
  • vtoodlervtoodler Posts: 2,111Registered User Senior Member
    I would write about AIDS in Africa. That is a very interesting subject and there's so much that you could write about it.
  • Smallz3141Smallz3141 Posts: 2,149Registered User Senior Member
    While the Aids in Africa is certainly an important subject, the other two ideas are more original. I would guarantee that the majority of your class is doing something on AIDS, but if you did one of the other two topics yours would stand out.

Just something to consider.
  • Fides et RatioFides et Ratio Posts: 902Registered User Junior Member
    "Wow, those are two really good ideas. Thanks...."

No prob. Good luck on the assignment.
  • SeanMcGSeanMcG Posts: 88Registered User Junior Member
    I read this really interesting article in the Economist about the rising upper class in Sudan due to its oil exports, and how the capital is just booming currently. Writing an essay on that with addition to a blurb about Darfur would be good.

IMHO i think all this celebrity hype wouldn't make a good essay