Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is golf a "rich man's" sport?

aisgzdavinciaisgzdavinci Posts: 1,997Registered User Senior Member
^ .
Post edited by aisgzdavinci on

Replies to: Is golf a "rich man's" sport?

• AeroEngineer3141AeroEngineer3141 Posts: 3,607Registered User Senior Member
    no it is not a rich man's sport.

it just seems that way because it's associated with country clubs.
  • NarcissaNarcissa Posts: 3,935- Senior Member
    well it had that connotation
  • HisGraceFillsMeHisGraceFillsMe Posts: 4,699Registered User Senior Member
    Kind of.

Golf in itself is very expensive...grounds fees are expensive, the clubs are expensive (even to rent), the clothes are expensive (and some places won't let you play in "street" clothes)...you get the idea.

However, there are some courses that let you play cheaper after certain hours (AKA "Twilight time"), and playing on a HS time is a good way to play for free (we always played for free during our season).
  • CORECORE Posts: 180Registered User Junior Member
    Yes it is a rich man's sport. I ditto everything HGFM says.
    in middlesschool all the rich boys at my school talked about golf until they trasferred to rich private schools that accepted them b.c. they had the money...not the brains (well...thats my mean, honest opinion)
  • classic3020classic3020 Posts: 253Registered User Junior Member
    golf is a classy man's sport. big difference.
  • thehoothehoo Posts: 174Registered User Junior Member
    Yes....much more than other sports.
    Soccer, basketball, football...all can be played for cheap. Golf? Not so much. Throw tennis in there as well.
  • CamaroLoverCamaroLover Posts: 293Registered User Junior Member
    There's a golf course by my house and it's about $500,000 membership to play there a year. So yeah, it's a rich sport.
  • bennisbennis Posts: 351Registered User Member
    wow camaro, what course is that? not very many courses are that expensive. Pebble Beach maybe? =P The best course around here is really nice, and is like $1000 for an adult for unlimited golf/cart/range. like $700 for a student. Golf doesn't have to be too expensive. When the average person goes way in debt to buy a brand new car for $20000, I don't think golf is a "rich mans" sport.
  • CamaroLoverCamaroLover Posts: 293Registered User Junior Member
    It's by the New York Harbor.

Bayonne Golf Club - New York Harbor

My friend works there and says he makes $1000-$1500 in tips a week. Guys like Bill Clinton, Rudy Guliani, NJ Nets players, etc. all play there.

Hopefully I'll get a job there this summer :)
  • Anon_Person_1Anon_Person_1 Posts: 2,453Registered User Senior Member
    IN the sense that you need $300-500 clubs to be able to play consistently (renting is way more expensive and not really practical)..on the other hand, you can spend that much on lacrosse, swim, etc, equipment (I know a swimmer who pays $300 per suit that lasts her 4 competition days...)

also, there are much fewer places to play golf-you can only go to a driving range, mini-golf, public golf course, or country club

the public courses by me (18 holes) are about $50-70 per game, and then an additional fee for golf cart, etc
  • AeroEngineer3141AeroEngineer3141 Posts: 3,607Registered User Senior Member
    hmm your saying that golf is a rich man's sport because you pay a lot for it.

but is paintball a rich man's sport? (yes, we're considering paintball a sport for the sake of argument). A good marker costs around $300+, full jerseys cost $100+, and the paintballs themselves cost around $50 - $200 for a good amount that will last you and your friends a day (if your playing speedball). Then you have to pay for any upgrades, replacements, and installations.

EDIT:
    hmm, then again, maybe you do need to be rich to play.
  • thehoothehoo Posts: 174Registered User Junior Member
    "hmm your saying that golf is a rich man's sport because you pay a lot for it."

You just proved the point. Not many non-rich people have the money to play.
  • Gryffon5147Gryffon5147 Posts: 3,765Registered User Senior Member
    Golf costs a lot in comparison with other sports. But in the US it's not as bad.

In countries like Japan and Korea, where land is at a premium, the only way to even get on a golf course is with membership cards worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I also think paintball IS an affluent hobby...
  • tetrisfantetrisfan Posts: 11,791Registered User Senior Member
    Buying all those different clubs and stuff does cost a lot...
  • tubbiestubbies Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    The one I'm a member of cost my parents 1.2 mil to get in, though I don't consider ourselves very rich, it is not cheap to play golf