Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Difference between Calculus 1, 2, and 3?

AvisMathAvisMath Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
edited July 2010 in College Confidential Cafe
As the title of the thread indicates, I would like to know what is the defined difference between Calculus 1, 2, and 3?

Is Calculus 1 = Differential Calculus, Calculus 2 = Integral Calculus, Calculus 3 = Multivariable Calculus?

Or is each a mixture of the three afore-mentioned respective subjects within calculus?

In short, What topics and how is each Calculus 1, 2, and 3 separated into?

Thank you!
Post edited by AvisMath on

Replies to: Difference between Calculus 1, 2, and 3?

• ricegalricegal Posts: 1,350Registered User Senior Member
    It depends on the school. At some schools beginning Calculus is divided into 3 quarters. However, the general sequence is a full year of beginning calc followed by multivariate calc followed by differential equations. Linear algebra and probability and statistics courses are also required for CS, engineering and math degrees.
  • silverturtlesilverturtle Posts: 12,494Registered User Senior Member
    Is Calculus 1 = Differential Calculus, Calculus 2 = Integral Calculus

Calculus I includes both integration and differentiation. In my experience (currently taking Calculus II at a community college), Calc II goes over some additional integration applications and techniques, plus series and sequences.
  • AvisMathAvisMath Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
    Thank you very much ricegal and silverturtle. Anyone else?
  • 314159314159 Posts: 343Registered User Member
    I think silverturtle is right. I think AP Calc AB is like Calc I and AP Calc BC is like Calc I and II.
    Yes, I agree as well. But I would like a more specific classification of each of the 3 Calculus, if it is possible. Thank you!
  • ThisCouldBeHeavnThisCouldBeHeavn Posts: 16,060- Senior Member
    Differential and Integral Calculus
    Integration and Infinite Series

Just one example. It really varies though. Calculus II isn't exactly a real thing. After that the courses tend to actually name what they teach.
  • TheFisherTheFisher Posts: 65Registered User Junior Member
    google has the answers to your question. i'm too lazy to look them up for you though.
    I have now attained a satisfactory understanding of the differences, especially thanks to ThisCouldBeHeavn's post. Thank you very much to all who replied to my question!