Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

NYU Supplement

GMBHagGMBHag Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited December 2011 in College Essays
Hi everyone, please proofread my supplement essay and feedbacks are greatly appreciated

What intrigues you? Tell us about one work of art, scientific achievement, piece of literature, method of communication, or place in the world (a film, book, performance, website, event, location, etc.), and explain its significance to you.

In the center of the photograph, the Victoria Harbor glistens under the sun. Star Ferries pass by. Skyscrapers across the harbor cover the mountains. An overhang on Queen’s Pier casts a shadow on six spectators, creating a silhouette of their bodies. Relatively in their old age, they rest on a metal rail along the edge of the pier. After few decades, most of the old structures in Hong Kong are to be demolished along with so much of its historical value. I feel a sense of nostalgia as they look out onto the harbor one last time. I found this photograph about a year after it was taken and I was able to feel the exact same feeling as those I felt behind the camera. At that moment, I realized the power of a photograph; how it can capture emotions, capture time. Inspired with by Henri Cartier Bresson’s quote “We photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing, and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth can make them come back again. We cannot develop and print a memory”. I too wanted to document history so that those in the future could see today’s world. Photography is the way I can express my inner thoughts. The camera acts as my third eye, a mechanical eye that is intuitive and impulsive. Photography is the way I shout.
Post edited by GMBHag on

Replies to: NYU Supplement