Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Self-Deprecating Humor in College essays?

Jason1Jason1 Posts: 84Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Essays
How useful is this in college essays? Is it best to only use it for essays that go to reach school, or prestigious top-20 schools, or HYPMSC?
Post edited by Jason1 on

Replies to: Self-Deprecating Humor in College essays?

• intparentintparent Posts: 12,632Registered User Senior Member
    I am not sure why you would use it for one school vs another... do you think the ad-coms are so different from one type of school than another? I doubt there is a big difference.

It would be very hard to give advice on whether to use it or not... humor is tricky in the college essay. What seems funny to a 17 year old is often not to an adult. Even self deprecating humor can backfire if they take it seriously in any way (it can be a sort of back hand that sticks in their head). What you need is a trusted adult (guidance counselor, college counselor, English teacher you trust, a parent if you think they would be a good judge) to review your essay and make sure what you think is funny will seem funny and appropriate to an ad com. You can even discuss your idea with them before writing the essay (thus saving yourself a lot of time if it is not such a hot idea after all).

Honestly, that you would ask the question this way (dividing tippy top schools from what I assume are just very good schools) makes me think that you definitely need an adult reader of your essays.