Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Personal statement topic?

reztipsreztips Posts: 2Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in College Essays
Hi, so I'm having a little problem with coming up with an essay topic (I say little, but what I mean is the hair-tearing, crying-in-a-corner-smashing-junk-food-into-my-face, having-profound-conversations-with-my-cat little).
The topic is "Describe the world you come from — for example, your family, community or school — and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations."

Sounds easy enough? Not to me. I am, what you say, somewhat emotionally stunted. I'm gonna go all psychiatrist on you all and say that I can't be sentimental and gushy. Intense emotion is just something I never really needed to access a whole lot. The only thing I can be is comical (or at least I think so, my cat's facial expressions beg to differ). The problem is, I can't distinguish if my sense of humor is mature enough for a college board audience or if it's more suited for writing episode screenplays for Jersey Shore. In other words, juvenile. Nonetheless, at the risk of sounding cocky, I like to think of myself as above that level of humor--but that may easily be the civil war to my Roman Empire or scissors to my Donald Trump's "hair".

So, please help me with an essay topic? I'll list the environment I live in, interests, aspirations, shoe size, etc. below.
(Keep in mind I've got the emotional capacity of a toaster):

- art (I really like it and I'm aiming for a graphic design major), but I can't be poetic (as stated above) about it--only a mocking faux-poetic such as "art is the blossom to my barren bush" or some crap like that.

- I live in a suburban-type neighborhood. It's not even a real suburb, but trust me, it has enough lawn mowers and mom jeans to be qualified as one.

- intertwining cultures. I'm Caucasian and Chinese. My family on my dad's side is also Jewish (a culture I'm not really submerged in, to tell you the truth. We were actually 2 days late for Hanukkah last year because we forgot about it). I get some Chinese cultural involvement though, such as mildly celebrating some major Chinese holidays and having been in Chinese school for 5 years (though I barely remember a thing).

- piano. Not really sure if I should include this because I've got the piano skills of an 8-year-old with one hand. But it's been 5 or 6 years since I quit piano classes, yet I still enjoy playing some stuff a few times a week (right now I'm working on Debussy's Clair de Lune. I suck.)

- I haven't hit many large road-bumps in my life. I have to admit, my life is pretty good (as well as mind-crushingly boring). I don't have 12 illegitimate siblings, divorced parents, missing appendages, or 4 part-time jobs. Nor have I written any award-winning plays or saved children from a burning building.

- I know you thought I was kidding, but my shoe size is 8.

Sorry for the overwhelming wall of text and THANK YOU for reading all the way through.
Anyways, any suggestions?
Post edited by reztips on

Replies to: Personal statement topic?

• greneroomgreneroom Posts: 21Registered User New Member
    Look, nobody can tell you what to write about. I read on another post the way to figure out a good topic is to imagine yourself going on a stage in front of hundreds of people, and having 5 minutes to tell them a story about yourself, and to entertain them. That's my advice to you, hope it helps. Good luck!
  • elnamoelnamo Posts: 680Registered User Member
    Think based on
    1. Which would make you stand out and be the most unique?
    2. Which is the one you feel most passionate about?

Write about that one.